Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Very impressed with maintenance/repair costs

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Default Very impressed with maintenance/repair costs

Earlier this week, our car threw a code on us, so it was hightime to get her in our local hero, er, mechanic...

Turns out I had 2 things going on this week; the primary fan motor was shot, and the MAF sensor had bit the bullet.

So, repairing those two items, plus an oil change and quick once over on our car, the bill was very impressive to say the least.

I am constantly surprised at how reliable, and how relatively inexpensive, these cars truly are. Even for being 20+ years old, now, I still have NO second thoughts when I jump into her everyday. One of the most reliable cars I've ever owned....

I just needed to pop in here and spout some accolades to Chevrolet and the Corvette division this morning...

Old 02-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Default RE: Very impressed with maintenance/repair costs

Got to agree there about the reliability,mind you they are pretty basic and not stressed to any degree.When you consider the 350 cube is putting out around 260 stock it's fast asleep all the time.It's producing around 45HP per liter(litre). The old 3.8 E-TYPE put out 80HP .My XJR makes 100HP and I'm not getting sexy but my little stroker makes around 125.
Anyway from the depths of florida,greetings.
new fan motor-$68 15/20 minutes labour
new MAF about $200 -30 seconds labour
oil and filter $17.99 @grease monkey.
Hows that compare with you guys EH EH EH!!!!(sorry couldn't resist!!!)
I'm a Britt so I'm on your side to some degree.!!

Old 02-10-2007, 08:05 PM

Corvette=[sm=bling.gif]

Old 02-13-2007, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: vrooomm

Got to agree there about the reliability,mind you they are pretty basic and not stressed to any degree.When you consider the 350 cube is putting out around 260 stock it's fast asleep all the time.It's producing around 45HP per liter(litre). The old 3.8 E-TYPE put out 80HP .My XJR makes 100HP and I'm not getting sexy but my little stroker makes around 125.
Anyway from the depths of florida,greetings.
new fan motor-$68 15/20 minutes labour
new MAF about $200 -30 seconds labour
oil and filter $17.99 @grease monkey.
Hows that compare with you guys EH EH EH!!!!(sorry couldn't resist!!!)
I'm a Britt so I'm on your side to some degree.!!
Ours has 100,000 miles on her, and she runs like a dream! Everyday I hop in her, she flashes right up, and gets us where we're goin'.

In STYLE!

Corvette: The Worlds Greatest Sports Car.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: TealC4

ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

Earlier this week, our car threw a code on us, so it was hightime to get her in our local hero, er, mechanic...

Turns out I had 2 things going on this week; the primary fan motor was shot, and the MAF sensor had bit the bullet.

So, repairing those two items, plus an oil change and quick once over on our car, the bill was very impressive to say the least.

I am constantly surprised at how reliable, and how relatively inexpensive, these cars truly are. Even for being 20+ years old, now, I still have NO second thoughts when I jump into her everyday. One of the most reliable cars I've ever owned....

I just needed to pop in here and spout some accolades to Chevrolet and the Corvette division this morning...
I'm with you 100%. My vette has 168,000 miles and it still runs like new. It is also suprisingly cheap to operate (parts, insurance, fuel economy). The same pretty much goes for my mustang. It has 192,000 miles on it and it still runs strong (gas mileage isn't that great though [:@]).I give Props to Ford and GM [sm=americanasmiley.gif]
It really blows me away, how the Corvette is considered an "exotic" car to many (myself somewhat included in that group), yet it's reliable! What a testament to Chevrolet and their small and big block engine groups. We've had ours now for well over 6 months, I think? It never ceases to utterly amaze me....