Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

where do I start ??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Default RE: where do I start ??????

It's only $68 at my nearest auto part store. It's not an GM/DELCO part though. I guess some company named J.P. Sorenson makes all their electronic goodies for Advanced Auto. I see the GM/DELCO is around $100. I plan on replacing it with one or the other this week and will keep everyone posted.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Sorenson parts are EL CHEAPO quality wise. I've tried them a couple of times at my shop and have been sorely dissapointed. Good Luck.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:12 PM

Hey Dan

Just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one that just bought an 87 and spent most of the weekend fixing little things. Mine the linkage for reverse came off then the brake lights wouldn't work. Luckily it turned out to be a missing fuse[sm=oopssign.gif]. I did try to check the taillight bulbs although the taillights worked because I had to change the high mount stop lights anyway. I pulled the license plate off and tried to reach. I could touch the inner light but couldn't turn it to get it out. The Haynes manual that I have said that for the outer bulbs to reach between the muffler and the bumper [sm=WTFsgign.gif]. I would like to see someone actually replace these bulbs. My arms aren't skinny but they aren't some big guns either.

The only problem I have now is that the speedometer reads about 12mph high once I get past a crawl. Seems to stay at about a constant 12mph difference too so I would think that that would rule out tires since the amount of error should change with the speed. I admit I haven't looked into it much other than pacing my wife on the highway. Heck I'm not even sure what size tires are on it. Had enough to keep me busy this weekend. Can't wait to go back to work and get some rest.

p.s. It's my wife's car by the way. I'll need to drive it for awhile to keep troubleshooting. It'll be like both of ours.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:51 PM

Good luck, don't fix it too fast though..........then the wife gets it. I've ripped the entire Parking Brake cable system off last night and going to replace all the cables this weekend I hope. I'm also replacing the speed sensor, which I believe is giving me speedo probs. The A/C doesnt' work either, but after all I've read and the horror stories, I'm not even sure If I want to put the money into getting it to work. Most my riding days plan to be with the Targa top off......in which I don't really need air anyhow. I have a few other odd's and ends, but the car is really clean outside and inside other than the few electrical grimlins'. It starts and runs great and the owner before me had redone both the front and rear end with new bearings, grommets, shocks and really cleaned the suspension up. Well,with 80's quality and 20 years of driving, I guess I'm amazed these cars still run. Keep me posted.