Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

YaY! got my vette back!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Default YaY! got my vette back!

Well, it was found in a hotel parking garage. It had a new key in the ignition, apparently they had one made. It had not many miles on it, because my Idle air control valve was bad, car wouldn't run without holding the gas!. Car was just sitting there not harmed. The small oil leak I had has now become much larger though, nice amount of smoke during the entire driving range, gotta get that fixed pretty quick.

Can you guys tell me if these cars have anything between the oil filter and the block, like an adapter?That appears to be the area its coming from, but it looks like it could also be an oil pan gasket or a rear main seal, although I don't think its leaking enough to be those two things.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: YaY! got my vette back!

If it's smokeing a lot you may have more damage than just the leak. Thieves like to hot rod fast cars and may have blown something. the insurance should pay for anyrepairs. Glad you got it back and welcome to the site. Cheers

Old 02-22-2008, 06:38 AM

Exactly, hence the expression "Drive it like you stole it." I would go over it with a fine
tooth comb as the longer time goes by, the less likely your in$urance company will be likely to re-imburse you.

Good luck and glad you got her back.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:49 AM

[sm=happybounce.gif]Wow! Amazing. Thank God.[sm=hail.gif]I was waiting for the worse-case-scenario: like found it a pile of smoldering ash and metal in the woods somewhere or just the frame was sitting on blocks in an abandonned garage. Sorry, just theway I think I guess. Anyway I'm real happy to hear the great news. Now, likeRudedog said, go over it with a fine tooth comb and stick it to the insurance adjuster. Get you baby back running like brand new[sm=gears.gif]...or close to it................AND GET SOME MORE OF THESE---->[sm=lockeddance.gif]

Old 02-22-2008, 08:19 AM

You got beyond lucky, dude. Congrats on getting it back.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:06 AM

Hey congrats, most joy riders kill their victims. To get to your leak, the oil temperature sensor is above the oil filter. A persistent problem w/ Chevys is the valve covers leaking.Both are close enough to the exhaust to cause heavy smoke if it coming from the engine bay. Also check the oil pressure sender,top left rear of the engine, it will pump oil all over the engine. Good luck w/ the insurance company.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:32 PM

I'm taking the car to the mechanic this weekend to have a throrough lookover. The car already had a pretty nice oil leak, but it got alittle worse it seems. Still runs and drives great though! I seriously believe that the IAC took a dump on them as soon as they got it and they decided to ditch. There was about ten miles put on it, I dont really look at the odometer everytime I drive it, so I can't say for sure, but not more than ten.

Now I gotta get the oil leak fixed and my smoked glass top .