Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

2003 Anniversary questions

Old 05-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Default 2003 Anniversary questions

Hi. I am new to the forum. Looking for a vert. The 03 Anniversary model has caught my eye.
Three questions:
Is there a difference in between the Anniversary Red paint and the Magnetic Red paint?
Did the anniversary model come with the Shale or Tan interior or were both available?
Have been following E-bay and the prices on the 03 Anniversary vert appears to have dropped
from 40-42k to 36 to 38k in the last week. AutoTrader prices are still high, but, I noticed a couple
of new dealer ads with lower prices. Is this normal?
Can use some help. I really like the paint color of the anniversary but the Mag Red looks the
same to me. I am not that interested in all the other options that came with the package. My
only requirement is that it is the 6-speed.
Also, I don't want to spend a large sum of money to drop 10% in a week or two. I am in no rush
and can wait if the market is going lower.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:52 PM
Default RE: 2003 Anniversary questions

The market is probably overreacting to gas prices and V8-paranoia -- if you can afford a vette you can afford the gas, but a lot of people overreact and the =market might be underpricing them.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:28 AM

Lee,
I figure like you. If you can afford a Corvette, you can afford the gas.
Since I was buying this as a weekend cruiser, I didn't think too much about
the gas situation.
I am still a little concerned about spending such a large sum for a used car.
I wasn't buying it for an investment, but, I wasn't looking to lose a lot of it
either.

Old 05-04-2006, 03:42 PM

Gas mileage is pretty good anyway's, I average 15.5 ~ 17 around town in stop and go traffic with a fair amount of "sporting" take off's. 24 ~ 28 mpg on the road if you keep your foot out and maintain 70-80 cruising speeds.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:00 PM

Mag red is lighter than Anniversary red. The Anniversary red is closer to a cherry-red, kinda like a metallic maroon. I have a mag red C5 and prefer its color to the darker Anniv. red. Still, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....

Regarding prices, have you looked in the Auto Trader? You should be able to get a better feel for current prices in there vs. Ebay.

Good luck!

Dave

Old 05-05-2006, 07:00 PM

Thanks. It is hard to see the differences from the pictures. My wife isn't particularly thrilled
with the idea of another Corvette. The darker red didn't seem to turn her off as much as
the Torch red.
I have checked Auto Trader and Get Auto. The prices seem a bit high. Even higher than
the KBB prices. Then agin, it is convertible season now. I may have to wait.
What really struck me was the number of cars in the completed items section that were
NOT sold. That got me thinking about the dealers themselves. It would appear there are
Chevy dealers with 03 Anniversaries down to the 37K price range.
I am a little spooked by the price differences and the problems I have been reading about
in these Corvette forums.
Maybe I would be better off dropping 35-40k on a 65 - 67 Vette? I suspect they won't drop
as much since they are basically collector cars.
I really like the C-5 style. I have a feeling this is going to take some time to sort out.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:31 AM

I'd say that if the car is primarily for appreciation potential, then a C5 will never do as well as a C2. However, the C2 will punish you severely when you DO drive it. I had a C3 for almost 22 years - loved the attention it received - hated the ride over less than perfect roads. What year Corvette do you have now?

Old 05-09-2006, 02:20 PM

i have a 2003 annv. vette and simply love it, i get alot of looks being that it is different than a regular c-5, shale interior is the only color it comes in with the aniv package, the anniv red is just an incredible color an i believe the magnetic ride is only in this addition also for 2003. if you have any questions please e-mail me
steve

Old 05-09-2006, 11:32 PM

Well, I have never tried to make money with a car, or view a car as an investment, and I don't think it is worth it to try.

I mean no offense to the very fairer sex, but cars are like women in one regard -- a guy falls hopelessly, absolutely hopelessly, in love or lust or whatever it is, and he has to have it, . . . so do you really care if you lose a fortune on it?

I never have thought about the money -- I paid every cent I had in 1976 to buy a '66 Ferrari GTB, which seldom ran right and was not that fast when it did, but i loved it anyway.
Then, getting into REAL money, I fell in love with my wife, who was in Penthouse, well, . . . one month in '79, I won't say which, but I just . . it was a matter of of life and death to me at the time, and I would have died to get her (thankfully that was not necessary but just about everything else was) and the rest is history-- still married, still happy) .
Its the same with cars. I love my C5: I had to have it and could never leave it, and I could NEVER recoup the close to $100K I have put into it, but then I will never part with it. I am still looking and and I agree with everything about the ride and flaws in the C3, but i would love to have a really great '68 or '69 390 HP 427 4-speed: actually any BB chrome bumper C3 would do. And a '56 4-speed would be wonderful, too. I love that particularl year.

Would I make money on any of them? Ah, who cares?