Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Aftermarket Exhaust and computer chip

Old 09-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Default Aftermarket Exhaust and computer chip

HELP!
wanting to put a cat back system and an engine tuner on my 2002 vette with the Z51 package. There are so many cat backs to choose from I'm not sure what is best. First I want to drop some weight, secondly I want it aggressive in sound but not where its rattling the windows or resonating. I see two that look pretty good, the Magnaflow magnapack with True-X and the SLP loudmouth. I'm not sure about the magnapack with the true-X because I think the sound waves going through the pipe conflict during crossover, causing backpressure? on the SLP the H-Pipe is old school that I know works, IE. old Mopars used them long ago and don't bypass but are designed to relieve pressure, which increases flow and torque.
Second question; is the Diablosport Predator really that good and does it make the gains it claims. Is it easy to use?

Old 09-11-2009, 09:16 AM

There are very few cat-backs that do not produce some sort of resonance at certain engine speeds. As a general rule of thumb, if you want the best sound, you WILL have at least some of that resonance. I have Borla Stingers and along with my 01's pup-cats, any resonance is fairly well muted. The sound of this exhaust is perfect, IMO. Magnaflows sound somewhat similar and are polished a bit more. GHLs have a totaly different sound. Some folks like it, but I think the Borla/Magnaflow sound is closer to the old 60s rumble. The best way to know which one you'd like to have is to attend a Corvette club's Dyno Day event. You should even be able to get someone who has an exhaust you like to give you a ride to see what the interior sounds like.

An X-pipe will smooth out the back-fire popping, but I kinda like that sound.

As far as a tune, your best bet is to find a great tuner like Chuck Cow and have it done.

Dave