Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Which C5 Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Default Which C5 Vette?

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum. Im looking to buy a C5 vette. I have multiple friends in the car trade business, who have gotten a couple in that they will sell tome wholesale, but I want to make sure I buy the right one. Are there any major differences between the C5 years? I would definetly want the hatchback version, in manual transmission. What should I look for? I've been running the prices through KBB and edmunds, and there seems to be a large price difference between the years. I was looking to spend less then 22K trade-in value on the car. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Old 04-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Default RE: Which C5 Vette?

I would go late model 2001 and later if you can. Here are the improvements for model 01:

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2001/index.htm

More info to follow....

Okay, here're some of the common issues with C5s:

1) Column lock: Make sure the column lock actuator has been bypassed or removed. If not, it may leave you stranded with no way to move the car, short of a flatbed tow. The dealership should disable the lock for free, If you hear a Bzzzzt when you turn the ignition key to ON, the column lock is NOT disabled or removed.

2) Make sure the fuel gauge works when there is more than 1/2 tank of gas. The sender units have been problematic.

3) Check the differential seals at the rear end. Most have been replaced and if the dealership did the work, there may be a vent tube in there to prevent excessive pressure buidup.

4) Check all the door locks. Press once on the remote to unlock the drivers door and twice to unlock both doors. The door lock module in the driver's door failed in my car within 2-3 years. This is not an expensive fix and you may be able to do it, yourself.

5) Pulsating brake pedal. The OEM rotors tend to accumulate uneven deposits of brake pad material, which in turn, causes the brake pedal to vibrate. Get ceramic pads or slotted rotors. If your C5 is not a daily driver, I recommend slotted rotors (like PowerSlots) to keep the pads from glazing.

6) EBCM (or Body Control Module for short): A bad one will cause the active handling to go bonkers and your digital display to show many codes. You can get them rebuilt for $150, but a dealership visit may cost more than $1000.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. My car has had 1, 3, 4, and 5 issues. It has about 29,000 miles on it, currently. Good luck!

Dave

Old 04-11-2007, 04:10 AM

Mine has had 4 or 5 problems aswell and it has 35k miles on it. To be fair though it's pretty modded out.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:58 PM

Ok cool - was there any difference between the 1999 to 2000 model year? cuz i notice a big jump in price. Thanks

Old 04-11-2007, 11:50 PM

Not that I know of.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:30 AM

ORIGINAL: sickvette

Ok cool - was there any difference between the 1999 to 2000 model year? cuz i notice a big jump in price. Thanks
....very minor, if any changes.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:53 AM

I bought a 98 back in November, very very clean not a mark on it, very low miles. It is awsome, and I could not be more pleased. I got an awsome deal. There is not a lot of diffrence between the models once you pass 98. The only thing I wish my vette had would be the heads up display (only on 99 and up), but since I have never had or driven with a heads up display, I guess I don't know what I am missing.

Decide what you want to spend, then keep looking the one for you is out there, Don't settle for something because the feaver is eating you up. Wait for it and you will find the right car. It took me a couple of years to find the right car, at the right price. I was like you, I had several friends in the industry who were helping me look. Don't worry so much about the year as the car itself If you have settled on the C5, then it does not matter which year C5 as long has it is the car you want, and has the options you want.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:31 PM

Im trying to decide - my options are a C5 or a 2005+ Mustang GT. I currently have a 2006 V6 stang, and im looking to upgrade to more power. I was shocked at first to see that C5's are even cheaper then the GT's, so thats why im here today lol. Im sure the vette outperforms the GT in every aspect, plus ITS A VETTE! lol

Old 04-12-2007, 07:50 PM

I toyed with the idea of getting a Mustang GT, I was going to buy a bran new one! I went and drove several, and they are nice cars, they have some muscle. But I could not do it. The corvette I have is nine years old and runs circles around the bran new GTs. I have a couple of friends with GTs, and they can touch my vette. Hell I have two 4X4 Dodge trucks (loaded) that are less than two years old, and my nine year old vette is more technologically advanced. The GTs I drove were no more advanced then the one I drove when I was in high school in the 80's. Don't fool yourself GO WITH THE VETTE.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:54 PM

Thats what I'm thinking, plus they look so badass. Its amazing that for me, insurace is significantly lower (over 1000 dollars) in the vette

Quick Reply: Which C5 Vette?