Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Which C5 Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Default RE: Which C5 Vette?

Isn't that amazing about the insurance. You can buy a five year old CORVETTE and the insurance is half of that of a New Mustang GT, but the Corvette cost and is worth just as much or moremore!!! Go figure. Another thing to consider is that the Vette will hold its value over years and years where as the GT will not. How many 10 yearold plus,mustangs have see worth $20,000+ try none! For that matter how many 10 year old mustangs do you see? Just today I can't tell you how many 30+ year old Vettes I saw driving around town, But I didn't see any mustangs like that. Go with the Vette, you will never ever regret it

Old 04-12-2007, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the advice, im definitley going to

Old 04-12-2007, 09:12 PM

Get the newest model you can with the lowest miles and best options that you like.[8D]

Old 04-13-2007, 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: sickvette

I'm trying to decide - my options are a C5 or a 2005+ Mustang GT. I currently have a 2006 V6 stang, and im looking to upgrade to more power. I was shocked at first to see that C5's are even cheaper then the GT's, so thats why im here today lol. Im sure the vette outperforms the GT in every aspect, plus ITS A VETTE! lol
It depends on what you want to do. For drag racing, go with the Ford. You can find a late model (2003 - 2004) Mustang GT for under $15K. With a few $k you can have it running in the 12s. For less than $10k you can have it running in the 10s.

If you want a good all around performance car and you don't want to modify then get the vette. The vettes are better in turns and faster than a stock GT. They are also way cooler. I see probably 50 mustangs for every one Corvette on the roads.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:38 PM

I see probably 50 mustangs for every one Corvette on the roads.

I was not trying to say that I see more Corvettes than Mustangs. We were talking about Mustang GTs and we can even add Cobras to the list.Ford produces Mustangs in the 4cyl - 6 cyl - 8cyl variety. They are good cars, and priced right. The Mustang in any form does not compair to the Corvette. Apples should be compaired to Apples and Oranges should be compaired to Oranges.

When was the last time you saw a 1985 Ford Mustang GT or Cobra? I would guess the early 90's. Yesterday I saw four 80's model vettes. When was the last time you saw a 1998 Mustang GT or Cobra? I see late 90's model vettes all day long. I guess it is diffrent in diffrent parts of the country? But as I was saying the Vette will alsohold a higher value. I could buy a used 2000 Mustang GT in good condition cheeper than I could buy a 80's or 90's model vette in the same shape.

I am not putting the Ford Mustang down. I like them, I used to own them, they are just not the same thing. The big blow up over the past few weekswith the Ricers was the same thing. A race ready Honda or Toyota can be really nice and haul a lot of butt, but it is not a corvette. I am sure the Italian Sports Car guys feel the same way when people compair them to the Corvette

Its all Apples and Oranges

Old 04-13-2007, 05:40 PM

[8D][&:][:@][:'(]
Sorry Just playing with the buttons, its the 4 year old in me

Old 04-13-2007, 06:20 PM

I think maybe you misunderstood what I was trying to say there Kimber. It is apples and oranges. I agree. Corvettes are unique. What I was trying to say is that vettes are much more unique than Mustangs. However, if you just want a car that can go really fast, a Mustang will do. Sickvette said " Im trying to decide - my options are a C5 or a 2005+ Mustang GT."

Personally, I like the newer Mustangs. Will I buy one? No. But the thing is, probably 10 of those 50 mustangs that I see can outrun my Z06 in a quarter mile race. So for Sickvette it comes down to a question of what he wants to do with the car.

BTW, [X(][>:][:'(][][:-][&o] we all have a 4 year old running around inside of our head.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:40 PM

Your right Riley
I loose track some times, because it is a no brainer for me, If I have the money to buy either the Mustang or the Corvette, I am buying the Corvette every time. That is exactly what I did. I could have bought the 07 Mustang GT with every option, and drove it new off the lot. I could not by the 07 vette for that, so I spenthalf as muchand bought the C5. I ended up with twice the car.
I love the new Mustangs, and the Cobra is something else, but it is just not in the same ballpark with the Corvette. I guess that is what I was trying to get across to Sickvette, if you have the ability to get the Corvette, then get the Corvette you won't regret it.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:32 AM

That's what I did too. When I was looking for a sports car, I checked out a few Mustangs (and a few Boxsters I'm ashamed to admit). There is a local speed shop that specializes in Mustangs so it would have been soooo easy (and cheaper) to take the Mustang path. But when I really thought about it...closed my eyes and pictured what I really wanted... it was a vette.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:43 PM

there's definitely a difference in the years. 97 and 98 are the least powerful, not by much at all,and 99 to 2000 have tiny changes that make them a little more desirable. what you really want is a 01 or later due to things like the ls6 intake coming stock. 01 and later put out something like 385 hp and and some more torque, while 97-2000 make 345 hp and 350ft-lbs of torque. learned this in the book "How to build high-performance Chevy ls1/ls6 v-8s". Great book, a ton of information on everything about gen III engines.

Quick Reply: Which C5 Vette?