Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Check engine/MAF puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Default Check engine/MAF puzzle

I have an 04 Z06 that has beenshowiing a check engine light after adding a Halltech Stinger intake. During the install I dropped my MAF sensor and cracked it, so I replaced it with a rebuilt one from Auto Zone. I first got a code for lean and took the car in to be tuned. After adding 12% fuel the car was still showing lean and not responding to more fuel being added. I returned the MAF sensor and was given another rebuilt one. After changing the MAF sensor the car began to give me a code for MAF performance. I returned the second rebuilt MAF and bought a brand new MAF from the Chevy dealer. The car is still giving a check engine light and code for MAF sensor performance. Any body got any ideas? Thanks for your help.
Chuck

Old 12-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Default RE: Check engine/MAF puzzle

Hello Chuck, did you ever defuel the car back to where it was to begin with????

Old 12-04-2007, 09:19 PM

I'm not sure if i have the "perfect answer" for you, but I used to own an Iroc z28 camaro, and when I had a brand spankin new engine put in by my local chevy dealer it kept giving me all sorts of MAF sensor codes, finally they realized that they had put in a corvette MAF sensor instead of the camaro iroc z28 MAF[>:]. I've seen these, and they look alike for both vettes and camaros, of course, depending on the year, is it possible that autozone sold you the wrong one, or grabbed the wrong one off the shelf? The really ironic part to this story is that my chevy dealer actually had to buy the MAF from the nearby autozone, because it was going to be several days before the chevy dealer could get one in stock.....Funny coincidence, maybe???

I've also owned two corvettes. My previous corvette had a MAF code, actually, a couple of different MAF codes, and it took alot of time before I finally figured out that there was a bad wire leading to the MAF, that had fallen against a "hot" engine part and was shorting out occassionally....a little electrical tape and a zip tie or two and it was fixed....Could it be something that simple?

Old 12-04-2007, 09:24 PM

Sorry, i was multitasking and only just now noticed that you said you did try one from a Chevy dealer....hope you get this figured out

Old 12-06-2007, 05:00 PM

Questions:
[ul][*]Who tuned your car?[*]What did they use? HP Tuners, LS1 Edit?[/ul]
It sounds like your short term fuel trims (STFT / LTFT)/ long term fuel trims tables maybe out of adjustment now. Unless your tech guy (AKA - tuner) knows what he is doing, it will be difficult to keep the engine light off.

The PCM has a limited ability to learn when things are adjusted. I recently installed a new intake manifold, 80mm TB, 80mm MAF housing and shorty headers (already had the catback exhaust). I used HP Tuners to recalibrate timing, fuel trims, recalibrate MAF sensitivity, etc. It is time consuming, but necessary.

CG

Old 12-07-2007, 08:11 AM

do ya have the old one,if so glue/tape anything to make it roadworthy and see if codes pop up.check then recheck that NO unmetered air is getting to engine,hook up a lab scope to MAF .i would fix this before i would tune it again.maybe put it back to factory specs before it goes wayout of spec.in other words dont try to richen it up because of an air leak .when ya find the air leak and fix it the car is pig rich