Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Dealer says I killed the BCM

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Default Dealer says I killed the BCM

I recently added a 2-way radio to my '02 Z06 using the factory recommended power connector located under the removable passenger "toe panel". According to the Owners Manual, this connection is good for up to 15 amps of current (the radio I installed pulls no more than 6 amps at any time). I chose the connection that is switched with the ignition.

After moving the key to the ACC position and checked the operation of the radio (which worked just fine), I buttoned up the toe panel and went to start the car. When I tried to start, nothing. No cranking, no solenoid clicking...nothing. Great I thought, I screwed up something. So I checked fuses for the cranking circuit and the starter. All were good. I then noticed if I "pumped" the clutch a few times, the starter engaged and the car started fine. Once started, it seemed to run ok. I checked the clutch interlock switch and it was fine. I could reliably start the car so I took it to my local dealer (who are a very Vette friendly one). On the way, the DIC started throwing codes all over the place (really non-sequitur ones like Left Door Window Up Failure) and the auto unlock feature stopped working.

Anyway, the dealer determined the BCM was bad, claimed they called Engineering at Bowling Green for guidance. According to BG, "oh yea, if you use that connector you'll blow up the BCM". When I was told this I asked then why did the owners manual contain very specific information for the owner's use of that connector when it is apparently known by GM it will destroy the BMC?. The dealer couldn't answer. Doesn't seem quite right to me.....

$500 later and 2 days later, I had a new BCM installed and my Z is once more happy. Of course, I have not reconnected the radio as of yet!

I have a call into GM, (politely) demanding reimbursement for the costs. They said it would take a few days to investigate and determine an outcome. Fair enough..

I'll keep you all posted but beware using that connector! [/align]

Old 09-10-2007, 07:33 PM
cwb
Default RE: Dealer says I killed the BCM

Keep all the paperwork, and get everything else in writing when anybody opens their mouth. Everything!

Is the ground integral with the connector? (you didn't have to run a separate ground wire???)

Old 09-10-2007, 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: cwb

Is the ground integral with the connector? (you didn't have to run a separate ground wire???)
Ground is one of the 3 connections, yep.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:45 AM

Wow, I haven't signed on in quite a while and just noted this post. If I had seen the info in my Owners Manual (mine is a 2001), I would have likely been in the same "pickle" you are now. A few months ago, I had that floorboard panel off of mine, trying to fine a "switchable" lead to hook my radar detector to and I couldn't determine a good spot.

Finally, I gave up and ran a wire around the windshield frame and ended up connecting into the wiring in front of the console glovebox (where the passenger airbag lite)is located. This gave me juice to the detector, but it was constant (not switchable). I have always put a detector in all my vechicles and used a "switchable" lead, if I had read what you read, I would have done the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I support your rage and position 100 %, I hope you get satisfaction and keep us all posted. It seems to me that you have a solid bitch that they are gonna have to settle.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Default RE: Dealer says I killed the BCM (RESOLVED!)

Here's the details on the final results (and how I reached it) in case this helps someone else in dealing with GM:

Well, here it is!!

Finally got a return call from the GM District Manager for my area (whose name Matt Mindy) on Monday (10/22). Based on his questions like "How did you get my number?" and "you should follow channels.", it was obvious to me from the start that I was already under this guy's skin and he wasn't going to be terribly cooperative. I wasn't disappointed.

He wanted me to make a photocopy of the relevant owner's manual section regarding the use of the connector and drop that off, along with documentation showing the connections I made and a copy of the repair invoice, at the servicing dealer. I asked him "you mean an authorized Chevy dealer wouldn't have a recent owner's manual on hand and doesn't have a copy of the invoice already?". He wasn't amused, yet I knew he was trying to bust my chops over this. Fine, I'll play his game. So I delivered everything he asked for to the dealer bright and early the next morning (Tuesday). While there I reiterated to the dealer's service manager that he was going to provide me, in writing, that they had determined I made the connections exactly as the owner's manual had specified. I left with that letter.

Late the next day (today - Wednesday), I received a call from Matt Mindy, who was at the dealership (I could tell from the caller ID). He said that after carefully examining the issue, he had decided to decline my request for reimbursement. I asked on what grounds and he stated (I'm paraphrasing here) "Your car is too old to be under warranty and you didn't check with the dealer before installing your radio, which the owner's manual clearly says to do". I responded by asking him how he knew I hadn't checked with a dealer and where does it state in the manual I must check with the dealer who ultimately does the repair prior to installing a CB radio? I further pointed out to him that the manual SPECIFICALLY mentions (and this is a direct cut and paste quote from the manual):

"The accessory power plug can be used to connect electrical equipment such as a cellular phone or CB radio. It is located behind the carpeting, on the
passenger’s side toe-board, at the top left corner near the body control module. Be sure to follow the installation instructions included with the equipment."

I finally pointed out that the manual CLEARLY shows that it is intended that the connector be used for a CB radio. He refused to budge, so I thanked him for his time and to expect that this wasn't going away.

I have since identified his immediate boss as the General Motors Western Regional General Manager Susan Docherty. But I'm going to sit on this info for the moment...

After consulting with an attorney about this (who was amazed Matt Mindy would take this position as in his opinion, this is a slam dunk case.) So much, he's going to take in on a contingency basis. A demand letter is being sent directly to GM within the next few days.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The saga is concluded.....

I received a phone call from Chevy's Regional Service Manager Kelly Bradshaw's office and spoke with a Miklos Gonzalez. He was very nice, sympathetic and stated that he had reviewed all 29 pages of my official Service Request. His comments were to the effect that he doesn't understand how this ever reached this point but said the customer takes precedence. He is contacting the dealer to have them cut me a check that is 100% reimbursement for the repair. As I have a good relationship with the dealer, I don't expect any problems at this point. (I did ask him if this was going to come out of the dealer's pocket and he said that GM would cover it).

I also told him that Matt Mindy needs to be bitchslapped a bit for being such a ***** He chuckled...

Anyway, persistence pays!

And for those in the Portland area, the dealer involved is Russ Chevrolet in Tigard. They have been top notch through all of this.

And finally.... an email I received after all was said and done..

Ken,

I am happy we could be of service and, again, I am sorry this took so long. We need to get a lot better at this as a company.

And if your faith is really restored, and should you ever decide to purchase a GM vehicle in the future, I can get you a friends and family discount.

Cheers!

Jeff Holland
GM Western Regional Manager, Communications

Received in mail from Dealer - one check for the full amount paid for replacement of the BCM.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds good to me. Way to hold out. Cheeers

Old 11-11-2007, 12:03 PM

That is a great story Ken. I love the way that you persisted and got what was due. It's amazing that they made you go that far. Matt Mindy deserves to be slapped upside the head with the defective BCM. Thanks for sharing bro.