Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

DIC button problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:31 AM
Default DIC button problems

Well, my first problem didn't take long. Yes, I know I should have played with more buttons before I bought it. But I swear I tried these when I test drove the car...

It seems the only dic button that works is the reset button. I know this because the tire pres monitors are in the trunk because the previous owner said they were too sensitive. He didn't tell me that meant the "serv tire monitor system" warning would keep coming on...sigh... I don't suppose there's a permanent fix for this to make that warning stay off, is there?

But the real problem is that when I push the other buttons nothing happens on the dic screen. Again, I don't suppose it might be a fuse or something simple like that?

TIA
Mike

Old 09-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Default RE: DIC button problems

Bluwolf, when you see the tire monitor warning and hit reset what happens?
After you clear the error messages you should be able to use the other buttons.
I would put the tire pressure monitors back on for one, and if you are able to go back to the original owner and have him show you exactly what he did.
Did he tell you about this before you bought it?

If not he may be hiding something else.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:28 PM

First the good news. I went out for a quick trip to the store this morning and the dic buttons were working again. I don't know if it was an imtermittent thing or I was doing something wrong. Although I'm not sure how you can do something wrong when you're just pushing a button. Maybe I didn't wait long enough in between button pushes.

When the tire monitor warning comes on, I hit the reset and it turns off. That's great except that it comes back on. I thought it would only come back on each restart, not every 10 minutes.

Yes, he told me the sensors were out. He showed them to me when I was looking though car the first time. Is there a way to test or have the tire sensors tested before putting them back in the tires?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-30-2006, 08:17 PM

Actually
the warning will appear about every 8 - 10 minutes, just a way to say Hey, it's still not right, .

I would have the sensors put back on, they could just need calibration. I believe they use some kind of magnetic device over the sensor to re program it. It sure would be worth it.

It would be interesting to know what exactly the sensors were doing, that caused him to remove them. He could have just had to much air in the tires. Or to little as far as that goes.