Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Halltech clearance issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Default Halltech clearance issues?

I am looking to change the intake on my 04 Z06 and had just about decided on the Halltech Stinger, but have seen a post on another forum stating that the Halltech airbridge rubs on the hood insulationand causes the hood to bulge up. I am surprised to hear this and would not think it would be as popular if this is the case. Do any of you have experience with this?
Thanks for the help.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Default RE: Halltech clearance issues?

First of all, you will likely get lean codes after installing any of a bunch of aftermarket intakes, primarily because your Z06 has a screenless MAF. Coupes and verts have screened MAFs and do not have this problem. A dyno-tune can eliminate the code generation.

The Halltech Stinger will only bulge the hood if it is installed incorrectly. The fore and aft position of the airbridge to smooth TB coupler and the TB coupler to TB is critical. Also, make sure the clamp screws are positioned horizontally, not on top. See my installation procedure link, located in my sig.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Not to change the subject, but...Hey Dave do you have any new shift *****?

Old 10-19-2007, 10:57 PM

George,

I now have low-profile spherical ***** that are threaded as deeply as possible. In addition, I also have oil catch (coalescing filter) cans. Check out my sig. and thanks for asking!

How about you - any new boat designs? I am going on a tour of Knight and Carver yacht builders, next weekend. It should be interesting.

Dave

Old 10-19-2007, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

For this thread ...isn't there some hipo aftermarket plastic intake for these. I can't remember the name but have heard that for some it is the one to have. It's on here somewhere,...I'll see if I can find the thread.

Lots of new designs just no funds to build them with, LOL!

Knight and Carver are nice semi custom yachts. Thinkin' about getting one? You're in California yes? any where near Adalanto/Victorville/Apple Vally in the high desert? Cabo is in Adalanto. if you are close you could run by there and look. They are really nice. I am a little bias though, I built a lot of their tooling.

Your new stuff is cool. Have you ever made a pistol grip like the old mopars had. I have an original and was trying to think of something to replace the wood grain grips with.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:54 PM

The Callaway Honker is a great intake system, but at almost $500, it is somewhat pricey. The tour of Knight & Carver is through the local chapter of SME (Society of Manufacturing Engineers). We try to go on company tours at least once per month.
Thanks for the compliment! A pistol-grip shift **** made of plastic would require a split mold and possibly a compression chamber and I'm not currently set up for that kind of work. I've seen this type of shift **** on the internet, although some are nothing more than a bar of aluminum with a threaded hole in it.

Dave

Old 11-27-2007, 08:26 PM

I have now installed the new Halltech intake and B&B Bullet cat backs on my 04 Z06. I immediately got a check engine light giving a lean code. I have now had the car dyno'd and tuned. The tuner added 5% to the fuel on the low end and said that the air fuel mix is at 12 all the way through the RPM range. The light was off for about 30 miles after leaving the shop and now back on with a lean code. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks for your help.
By the way, love the way the car sounds and pulls. Showed right at 370 on the Dynojet.