Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Kill Switch or other theft deterrent. I HATE car thieves.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Default Kill Switch or other theft deterrent. I HATE car thieves.

Warning. This is somewhat of a long read....The other day while on a break at workI heard a car alarm going off around the corner in the parking lot. It kinda sounded like my Vette alarmso i started heading toward the parking lot to check it out.Before I get around the corner the alarm stops but i'm going to check out my car anyway.While traversing the huge parking lotI walk by ablack Nissan Maxima parked in the middle of one of the rows and behind a Jeep Rubicon in one of the stalls. I seea person wearing a baseball cap leaning casually against the Maxima passenger side and another person wearing a baseballcap walking quickly from the drivers side of the Jeep to the passenger side. At this point I'm really still more concerned with checking on my Vetteso Iwalk right by them on the other side of the row. I get to my Vette and luckily its fine but i think: hmmmm those people at the Jeep looked kinda suspicious i better check it out. I turn around to see the Maxima and the Jeep speeding out of the parking lot. Couple hours later, passing one of the security guards in the hall i hear them mention that a Jeep Rubicon got boosted from our parking lot. DAMN it happened right in front of me... in broad daylight!
Naturally now im totally paranoid about these thieves coming back and jacking my Z. I have the factory alarm but these thieves disarmed the alarm and were driving off so fast i figure if they want my car bad enough they are going to get it. All i can really do is make it harder for them to take. So... finally to my point.Whats the best way to install a hidden kill switch or other theft deterrent on my 01 Z06. I know nothing is completely theft proof but all i need is something that will slow the thief enough for the dumb *** security guard to turn her head and see them or make it enough of a problem to make them decide to move on to an easier car to steal. I've always installed a switched ground to the coil on my old hot rods but i need some input on where to install a kill switch on my vette. fuel pump kill? ignition kill? lets hear some ideas!!!

btw, I HATE car thieves.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:10 AM
Default RE: Kill Switch or other theft deterrent. I HATE car thieves.

Get Lojack and hope they find them.My only idea on that sorry im a noob on the issue. I figure if someone wants my car that bad they are going to get it like you said. That is why I have insurance on the damn thing.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. Lojack is effective from what I hear buta little pricey for me. Plus its only effective after the fact. I'd like to deter the thieves way before they get my car that far. well anyway i got worse problems right now.Some young blonde girlin aHonda Civic rearended my Z today on my way home from work. she accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake and nailed meat about 25mph while i was at a dead stop.damage isnt too bad i was expecting the whole rear to be caved in but it looks like scraped up paint on the bumper cover, the styrofoam bumper looks pretty smashed up underneath and i think my borla stinger tips got bent a little. she has good insurance so im not too worried but it looks like my baby is headed to the body shop for a while.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:21 AM
cwb

Get a system that calls you on your cell phone, and allows you to disable it, with lockdown,by return call.

Don't take a sidearm when you introduce yourself, if you have a bad temper, like I do.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:47 PM

I just bought 2 Remington 870's (hey they were on sale at Big 5). Does that count as a side arm?I need to find out where to tap a wire or harness or something that will kill the ignition or fuel pump. I suppose I should start poking around the fuse box but hopefully somebody on here has installed one and knows a more convenient place to tap and install a switch. Anybody????

Old 09-07-2007, 11:43 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: CHEVYMETAL

I just bought 2 Remington 870's (hey they were on sale at Big 5). Does that count as a side arm?I need to find out where to tap a wire or harness or something that will kill the ignition or fuel pump. I suppose I should start poking around the fuse box but hopefully somebody on here has installed one and knows a more convenient place to tap and install a switch. Anybody????
Good idea. Fuel pumpdisablement would bemore likely to be a problem-free modification.

Make a call or two to a local stereo/alarm installer, and see if they got your wiring diagram. Then design a unit, and get it on the market. Could be your million $$$...