Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

LG Motorsports Headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Default LG Motorsports Headers

Anyone know if LG makes a good header? I'm looking for something easy...a kit...that has good headers/high flow cats/X pipe. Or if anyone has a better combination of these parts, I'm open to suggestions.

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=2.36.6265

Then I was thinking of bolting up a Borla cat back behind those. Which is better 1). http://www.borla.com/applications/lo...System/140039/ or 2). http://www.borla.com/applications/lo..._System/14946/

All I see is that the first goes in one side of the muffler and out the other....as opposed the number 2 that goes in and out of the same side of the muffler. I would think (1) would be better, for better flow, but 2 costs more??? Just looking for insight.

Thanks!!

Kevin

Old 09-24-2005, 02:45 AM
Default RE: LG Motorsports Headers

The first link shows what looks like my Borla Stingers. With long tube headers and high-flow cats, you will have a fairly loud system. The Borla sound is mean - deep, throaty sound at idle and a semi-exotic roar at WOT. Have you checked with corvettegarage.com for prices? LG headers are well-known and are often compared with Kooks headers. Both seem to be excellent choices. I did recently hear that LG is coming out with a lower-cost version of their standard headers.

Old 10-02-2005, 05:16 AM

I have the Borla Stinger Exhaust (with 2 tips) and "I LOVE IT." Like Dave01 said it has a really mean and deep sound (big head turner). As for the LG Headers, thats what I plan to go with. The LG longtube header and x-pipe package (available with Random Technology Cats) was actually made by Borla exclusively for LG. I think last time I was on the LG site this combo was selling for about $1800.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:40 AM

I have heard the LG makes a pretty good header. I'm not sure it matters that much, Kooks, LG, are all pretty good. I would recommend getting the H pipe from the header manufacturer.

If you do the work yourself you will find it a real job to install any set of headers unless you can conveniently get under the car. Just having it on ramps isn't really enough (the headers, and you, won't fit under the car very well). Try to rent a lift or have it gone at a shop.

The difference in the type of sound between the two Borla exhausts is substantial. One of them is the "stock" approach: the exhaust enters and exists the same end of each muffler. It is a good exhaust and I know a lot of people like it.

The second, a flow through, the gases enters on the inner (tomward middle axis of the car) and exit on the opposite side.
I think I explained to someone here in a much earlier note that this particular Borla, and the GHL I have on my car, are the only two flow-throughs I know of on the market. Advantages are supposed to be less resonance (the stock and some aftermarket exhausts have an annoying resonance at around 2000 RPM which is a high cruise speed and could get tiresome - plus resonance is just not that cool). I don't know about the Borla, but my GHL is resonance free at all RPMS.
What I do know is that these two - GHL and Borla flow through -- just should slightly different. Slightly less resonant, clearer sound. I've heard the Borla on another vette, and my first thought was - Wow! Someone with an exhaust like mine.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:15 PM

Thanks Lee! I'm going to go with the Borla flow through.