Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

My dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Default My dyno results

Thanks everyone for giving me a good idea of what to expect. You all were pretty much right on the money - especially Lee. My RWTQ is 352 and my RWHP is 314. The guy said my air to fuel ratio was running high and that I could pick up about 15 hp if I had it adjusted. I was disappointed with these numbers, but they did point out that my car was very quick in getting up there. BTW - their meter only went up to 150 MPH . . . is that standard? I know my vette goes way faster than that. Would I have higher numbers in TQ and HP if their meter went higher? Not sure how that all works.

Dave, you were right. They do not have the software to do any tuning on cars other than Ford. They were very professionalandhonest about what they could and could not do, and about their prices. They do install s/c on cars other than Fords, but as I said before - no tuning.

Well, now to figure out how much more hp I want and how much I am willing to spend. All and all, it was so much fun this morning and the best part about it was I found out the snail shells under my hood were not from my C.A.I, but from rats in my garage. The rats have also started chewing my radiator hose and the insulation of my hood.You could see where they had been eating ontop of my manifold. We set up rat traps as soon as I got home, so hopefully this problem will be eliminated soon.

Thanks again for all the info everyone has shared with me re: dyno meters and tunes.

Take care. Stay safe.
RJ

Old 07-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Default RE: My dyno results

Really, they are about what you expect. You might consider paying someone to tune the car -- I agree with them, you would pick up some power --> the clue is the torque,which is very healthy.

"their meter only went up to 150 MPH . . " -- that's what I would expect-- theyprobably tested the car inan intermediategear (6th in an M6 or an A6, 3rd in a 4-spdauto), which is normally how a dyno test is done since it is a direct gear and strongest -- less chance of wear and tear on the car. A vette's top speed in those non-overdrive gears is somewhere around 134-150 depending on the specific model and gears.

"Would I have higher numbers in TQ and HP if their meter went higher?" I am assuming they know what they are doing, and the answer is no.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:16 PM

>> that's what I would expect-- theyprobably tested the car inan intermediategear (6th in an M6 or an A6, 3rd in a 4-spdauto), which is normally how a dyno test is done since it is a direct gear and strongest -- less chance of wear and tear on the car. A vette's top speed in those non-overdrive gears is somewhere around 134-150 depending on the specific model and gears.

"Would I have higher numbers in TQ and HP if their meter went higher?" I am assuming they know what they are doing, and the answer is no. <<

Thanks, Lee - I had no idea what to think when they said the meter only went to 150 mph. Yes, they were in 3rd gear and I am sure they knew what they were doing.So, it is what it is and I need to get dyno-tuned. They gave me the name of a man whom does good work on vettes and I better see him quick. Or else, I will have to get out of the way of every Miata on the road - oh the shame.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:12 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: rjensen

but they did point out that my car was very quick in getting up there. BTW - their meter only went up to 150 MPH . . . is that standard? I know my vette goes way faster than that.
If your vehicle really 'got there quick', you might have a high-geared rear end. Quick off the line; low top speed.

ORIGINAL: rjensen
Would I have higher numbers in TQ and HP if their meter went higher?
No. Their machine should extrapolate the curves of the readout, if they had not peaked. Did you get a printout of the reading? Post it, and you can do it yourself using integral calculus. (or differential calculus - I always mix the two).

Old 07-07-2007, 12:24 AM

Rita, your torque is exceptional (kinda like mine!), so don't feel bad. Torque is what you use most on the street; it's the seat-of-the-pants feeling of getting pushed back into your seat. I forgot to mention before that you should ask the guys at JB to show you HP and torque numbers from other vehicles, just so you can compare.

I go on mountain runs periodically, and the last time I went, I was following a C6 Z06. At no time during the run was he able to put any significant distance on me. I never felt that his car was superior, at least for tight twisties and short bursts of WOT. This made me feel that I may not need a supercharger just yet.....

Dave

Old 07-07-2007, 08:52 AM

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your supportive words. Your vette sounds like great fun!

Despite the numbers, I know what my vette feels like and it is quick. Never do any 100+ mph driving - just in town and freeway. This car has never disappointed me or felt sluggish. Definitely plan on getting dyno tuned, so that should help the low hp number.

Like Isaid before,to be determined ishow much hp to I want and how much am I will to spend.At this point in life, I could pretty much buy anything I want (within reason - I'm not Oprah), but can I justify it. Am I willing to forgo other things. Am I willing to take the heat from my husband for being so impractical.

For now,thinking I'll get tuned and then sit back awhile.I do like the looks of the headlights on the C6 and the extra hp that comes stock, but we'll see.

Hey, thanks again.
Rita