Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

New Vette Owner Needs Driving Advice

Old 08-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Default New Vette Owner Needs Driving Advice

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. I'm also a new vette owner. I bought a '02 automatic. Since purchasing the car I have made some minor modifications at a local Corvette Specialty shop. I installed Bassani exhaust from the cat back. I installed a Vortex Ram Air Intake. I also installed a Mass Airflow Sensor with cold air tune (whatever that means). I also put in a performance chip (Granatelli G Force).

Now that you know that information can someone tell me the proper way to run a 0-60 test on the street? Please remember that my vette is automatic. Do I just start from a complete stop and slam on the gas pedal and wait until I get to 60 mph? Am I suppossed to rev up the engine first before I take off? If so, how should I do that with an auto transmission?

I realize that this question may sound ignorant but the truth is that I am ignorant on this topic and I need to own up to that. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Default RE: New Vette Owner Needs Driving Advice

With an auto tranny, holding the brake while stepping on the gas pedal until an optimum rpm level is reached before letting go of the brake/stompin on the gas is the method normally used by car magazines. The optimum engine speed before releasing the brake is dependent upon the rear tire size/compound and gear ratio. Start with a 2000 rpm launch and adjust accordingly so that you have some (little) tire spin, but not too much.

Dave

Old 08-03-2006, 01:52 PM

thanks Dave! I'll try it.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:48 PM

I recommend you turn off the traction control, put the Transmission in Drive, hold the brake and rev it to about 2500, then release the brake and stomp the throttle at the same instant. A bit of tire spin is good of the line, but you don't want to make a lot of smoke.

Now, vary the RPM and try it 'til you find the car's sweet spot, try 2000, try 2700, 3000, more if you want, etc. Realize this is hard on your trans though, so don't sit there and keep in reved at 2500 or whatever for more than a split second before you launch, and let it cool down a bit after several runs before continuing the tests.

After a while you will get to where you can hold the brake, rev the engine to the magic point, releas and stomp the throttle instinctively.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:54 PM

thanks Lee....I wondered if doing that would hurt the tranny....but I'll be prudent with the technique....once again, thanks!

Old 08-04-2006, 04:23 AM

Conversly, what is the proper way to launch the 6 speed? Thought I would ask since you are on the topic...that and I've never owned a car like this before with this power - so I've never worried about the quickest way to launch a stick. I'm assuming however you do it..that it isn't the best on the life of the clutch. I'll admit...having been 8+ years since I've owned a manual....that I am still not real good at quick starts coming off a stop sign or light....I'm guessing I just need a little more practice....I would be afraid of either screwing up my tranny and/or clutch....or killing the engine by dorkin' it up.....would be really embarassing, especially if someone is watching! Thanks for your input.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:30 AM

Well, I suppose an M6 is more difficult to launch well because there is more to vary and control. And this is all probably stuff most folks know already.
Again, first thing is the turn off the traction control.
Like with the auto, you can vary the RPM's at launch: rev up the engine to 2500 with the clutch in and trans in first and then drop the clutch as you floor the throttle. Only you don't just drop the clutch and you don't just slam the throttle down -- you can "gently" handle both:: riding the clutch slightly as you launch and depressing the throttle quicly but not instantly. Do this right and the car jumps of the line with just a little wheelspin. Do it badly and the car either bogs down (the clutch bites, the revs drop, and you have to wait for them to build) or the wheels light off like a smoke machine. In my experience it takes a lot of practice to find the right: RPM, clutch let up, and throttle push down coordiation for a good launch.

It is worth noting that the launch for both the auto and the M6 will vary A LOT depending on the tires, so again its experimentation that is needed. Then, too, if you have an aftermarket clutch that will really effect things.

With my '98 Camaro, when stock, the best launch was to rev the engine to 3500, then drop the clutch quickly as I pushed the throttle all the way to the floor in a period of about half a second (seemed longer/slower when I was doing it that when you are thinking about it here). I had to experiment with it a lot. With the vette, stock, it was similar, but 2500 worked out best, although I had to ride the clutch a bit longer.

After mods on the vette, including drag radials, a Spec III clutch (which is difficult to feather or ride partially closed well), moving the battery to the trunk, lowering it 1", and about twice the RW HP, the RPMs stayed the same (2500) but I really have to ride the clutch for what is probably up to a second and it is very difficult (and frustrating) -- the car is hard to launch. Sometimes it bites and jumps, other times it just spins the tires loose. Frankly, often wimp it and leave the traction control on, and just launch at 1500.
The Camaro by contrast is easy, it has a Spec III, drag radials, a nine inch rear axle, traction bars, subframe connectors and rides at original ride height with soft rear springs for weight transfer, and has 50% more RW HP N.A.::just rev to 2800 RPM and drop the clutch and stomp the throttle, and it goes nearly every time.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:13 AM

my C5.....the first day I brought it home.

Name:  vette008a.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  23.9 KB

Old 08-06-2006, 06:13 AM

nice!