Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Newbie on the Block

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 02:48 AM
Default Newbie on the Block

Hey everyone, I'm new but I have been reading the forums for a while but just decided to sign up tonight. Right now I have a 2000 Camaro SS with a few bolt-ons. I am really really wanting a Corvette. I'm hoping to get around $13 grand for it and with that, I'm only wanting to fork out another $7 or so for a total of $20,000. I really love black, but me being a perfectionist, I dont want it because it gets swirl marks in it too easily. And no bright red either, too many people have red, don't get me wrong, I think it is gorgeous, but I just want something different. Any opinions on options, miles, all that? Anyone know any for sale? And once I get one, what about exhaust? That is a must. I know ya'll have to agree that it ain't American Muscle 'til it rumbles. I notice that most people are going for the Borla, but I want something that will turns heads, maybe the SLP Loudmouth. Something that will sit at a traffic light with ten other cars, and everyone looks to see where the heck that noise is coming from. But I don't want to forego quality. I don't want it to pop when I let off the gas or sound like I got a POS. Thanks for any suggestions ya'll could throw my way.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Default RE: Newbie on the Block

Welcome to the site. As far as exhuast go I have the Borla and I really like the sound. From what I have heard the SLP is truly loud and will turn heads, but the resonance inside the car is unbearable. I would recommend going with either a Borla or Corsa system and also installing some longtube headers and a x-pipe to really open her up. One thing to keep in mind when asking about exhaust systems is everybody has their own answer based on personal experience, the best thing to do is listen to as many different sound clips of exhaust systems as you can. If yo go to www.MadVet.com they have just starting using a rating system for the exhaust they sell so you can check how loud one system is vs. another. Good luck.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:51 AM

Alright, thanks. How about an X-pipe and headers then. Should I just go with a Borla setup for everything, headers, x-pipe, and exhaust? What about High Flow Cats? Worth the money? Has anyone heard of an HID conversion kit for a C5 yet? What about a spoiler and hood? If I get either, I def. want low profile. On the spoiler I mean an actual spoiler, not the little lip on the back of the car that people call a spoiler, no offense to anyone. And for a hood I don't want to take away from the good 'Vette look, but I want something that catches peoples eye.
Thanks

Old 10-30-2006, 01:34 PM

First of all welcome, and I hope you get your new toy sooner than later.
Putting an aftre market exhaust was one of the first things did to mine. It just doesn't sound right with the stocks. I chose Borlas, and added the x pipe as well, and I love it. It's plenty loud enough for me, and it growls when you punch. The Loudmouths are LOUD, and you will definately get noticed, but they do have a annoying resonance at freeway speed.
I would start searching around for part like the hood, or how bout a C.A.I., and they do make a HID conversion kit. heres a couple good sites for pleanty of accessories...

http://ecklers.com/

http://storesense.megawebservers.com...Parts%3ABrakes

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/pc-...-spoilers.aspx

As for the price you'll pay, I would just say shop around, don't get yourself in a rush. There are quite a few good deals out there. Black is a great color I agree, it's a little harder to take care of but you can take care of it without getting the swirl marks as you say. I have a black truck, Daily driver, and I may have a few chips here and there, but the paint looks as good today as it did when I bought it. How bout Silver or blue? Can't say I like the arctic white, to me white is for a fleet of vehicles at work, just don't think white on any car looks good, especially a Vette.
Good luck in your search, come back and let us know what you find, and show us some pics.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:35 PM

Welcome to the forums!!! Good luck on your hunt, and yes please, post pictures when you land your new baby!