Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Oil Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 05:12 AM
Default Oil Cooler?

Just seeing what everyone's thoughts are on putting an oil cooler on my Z.....I have it on the track approximately 12 days per year...hopefully I'll be increasing that number. I know the last time I was on the track (end of Oct) one of the guys that's been doing that kind of thing for years has one on his vette.....I asked him what kind of oil temps he was seeing that day....he was around 30 to 40 degrees cooler than me. So what is the cut off? I'm guessing that is a pretty significant difference? Is there such a thing as too cool of oil? Or is cooler always better? Of the maybe 12 vettes out there this last time...he was the only one that had an oil cooler.

Kind of goes hand in hand with my "enclosed trailer" post.....do I add an oil cooler on my Tahoe for when it tows the trailer?

If you guys think it is a good idea...have any suggestions on companies that make high quality ones designed for the vette.....proven install locations, etc?

Just in case it matters, I run nothing but AMSOIL in my vehicles (tranny, oil, oil filter, differentials).

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Default RE: Oil Cooler?

I have an oil cooler on my car: it is part of an upgraded dual-core radiator/oil cooler unit I bought and installed when the 427 engine went in. I don't remember the manufactuer but basically the oil cooler is the bottom three inches of the assembly. There are also separate oil cooler units. I would recommend it for heavy duty applications particularly racing.

An oil cooler will absorb about 2-5 lbs off your oil pressure.

Old 11-18-2006, 01:45 PM

Did you buy the Tahoe with the tow package already on it?
If so than you won't need an aftermarket oil cooler. But if you installed the tow package aftermarket than I would definately say install an aftermarket oil cooler.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:22 AM

Yea Gorichb, the Tahoe Z71s come with the towing package standard. I haven't looked into it yet.....but do you know, does it already have an oil cooler? I'm pretty sure there is a tranny cooler on it....I was thinking as part of my "prep" for towing a trailer, I would add oil temp and tranny temp gauges......what are your thoughts?

Old 11-22-2006, 04:30 AM

Lee,

I saw on Lingenfelter's website....they have an oil cooler...it is like $600 (http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/rad-10.html).....then they have a Ron Davis custom heavy duty aluminum radiator with an integral oil cooler for like $850 (http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/rad-6cv9709.html).....seems like for the extra $250, it would be worth upgrading the radiator? What are your thoughts on that? Are there better units out there? I know Lingenfelter is a good company.....some day, I want to do head and cam package on my car....so would I be better off upgrading the radiator at the same time as doing the oil cooler?

I also asked this same question for my Tahoe, that I want to use to tow a trailer....hopefully I get something by next summer......would it be good to put an oil cooler on that, too? (see my "good enclosed trailer" post).

Thanks!