Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

over reving on a hole shot

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Default over reving on a hole shot

being my first car with real power, i have done this on several occasions trying to roast the tires.

in 1st gear (6 speed) i would rev up to about 3000 rmps and pop the clutch and nail the pedal to the floor not knowing the tires arnt spinning i held the pedal down hearing the engine surge ( 3 times) because of the rev limiter then let up after i realized nothing was happening. smell the awful smell of a burning clutch. i have done this twice now by mistake. traction controll button is off. why wont the clutch engage? did i have the rmps to high therfore the clutch will not enage. is clutch now glazed? at a roll i dont have a problem only when stopped.
any harm to the engine, only 500 miles first time this happened, 5000 miles 2nd time then i gave up
clutch feels ok so no harm done i believe.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Default RE: over reving on a hole shot

The clutch won't engage because someone (you, a previous owner) has done this or something else too often and it is worn, nearly won out.

Do this test. Take the car out somewhere where you can run hard, get it in 5th at about 3000 RPM (yeah, I know, you're moving then, - speeding tickets are your responsability) anyway, at this point, floor it. The clutch will probably slip, if not initially, as you rev up to the torque peak, indicating you have a really bad clutch. Don't let it go on for more than a second.

If this is too fast for you to test well, try it in fourth gear. If it does it then, the cluthch is toast.

If it does not, your clutch is not shot, just weak. don't do those burn outs any more and you might get another 10K miles. Start saving for a new one, though.

If if fails that test, or if you just want to do burnouts, replace your clutch with a Spec III clutch. I suppose you can burn them out, but we haven't in either of our two cars and we abuse them endlessly.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Default RE: over reving on a hole shot

should clutch engage at any rpm? i dont have any problems with it engaging any other time, but have only tried to do this twice then decided it was not a good idea. bought the car with 40 miles on it, so any abuse is mine. is a clutch covered under manufactures warranty. i would think not. ill do the test you had mention. car comes out of storage tha 15th.