Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Quick question re: dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Default Quick question re: dyno tune

Hi Everyone,
I called a local shop and they quoted me a price of $675 to dyno-tune my '04 C5 Coupe. They said $125 was a one time price to read the VIN number and to get all the info from the carand the rest was labor. Is that a fair price?

Thanks in advance.
RJ

Old 01-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Default RE: Quick question re: dyno tune

I know a shop in Raleigh, NC that does it all for $500. Maybe they're super cheap......

Old 01-26-2007, 09:07 PM

The shop has a limited icense for LS! edit (as opposed to an unlimited license, which permits the software to work on any car). They have to pay $100+ bucks to the programming company to get a code to use every time they service a new car with their system -- that's where the $125 and the VIN # comes from. The total cost they charged you is not too high, IF they tell you that adjustments or re-tunes because the tune is not perfect are free, and that any re-tunes because you add new mods are, say, $100-$150 a piece thereafter.

As Navy Flyboy said there are shops that do the job of $500 (I live right outside Raleigh and know the place he's talking about), but I paid Carolina Auto Masters (Durham, NC) something like $600-$800 for my original tuning -- something like that(they have an unlimited license, but then they had to pay $15,000 or something like that for it so they deserve a bit of profit), and it includes any re-tuning, etc. This is about what you expect for a tune on a mildly modified 'vette.

But it can be more expensive. So far I've paid about $2,000 for tuning to them, though: I paid for a lot of extra work on smoothing out idle and part throttle response and driveability (this is where most dyno tunes go sour) and had them drive my car daily, leave it overnight and start it cold, etc., for several days with a lap top in it to log all the data, so they could catch a couple of anomolies and fix it.

And it was good value for the money, too. Tuning is not something to try to do on the cheap.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:05 AM

Thanks so much, Jonathan and Lee!
I greatly appreciate this info. I would nothave know to ask about adjustments or retunes, norwhat a reasonable price range would bebefore hearing from you both. I had a good feeling talking to this guy on the phone and they have a great web site, complete with customer referrals. I am quite sure you are right about not going the "cheap route" for a dynotune.

Thanks again, Gentlemen and glad to see Lee is sticking around. I never chimed in onyour "goodbye" post only because I have been so busy. At first I thought you were being a bit harsh, but then I clicked on the link you included. It is a shame some people are so inconsiderate and down right rude and I understand your position.I haven't been on the Forum much lately because I found myself spending too much time here while at work, so I know where you are coming from with that concern, too. Glad you know how many good people appreciate all you contribute here.

NowJonathan, we all appreciate what you contribute too, but get back to your homework! And when you get those wings and are flying over San Diego, please be sure and give a wave to me. I'll be the blonde screaming down the freeway in the silver vette.

Take care, stay safe.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:15 PM

Hey Rita
You'll have to let us know how this Dyno tune goes for you. I've been looking also, not a whole lot of shops in the area here. Found one 20 minutes away, and they will charge $575.00. I just want to be sure they know what they are doing.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:35 AM

ORIGINAL: gorichb

Hey Rita
You'll have to let us know how this Dyno tune goes for you. I've been looking also, not a whole lot of shops in the area here. Found one 20 minutes away, and they will charge $575.00. I just want to be sure they know what they are doing.
Hi Rich,
I know what you mean about finding a shop that knows what they are doing. This shop I found has a very professional web site with videos of some of the dyno tunes they have done. It is pretty impressive and I feel comfortable leaving my baby with them.

BTW- I got my refund from Hypertech and I am going to need it, judging by what a dyno tune is going to cost me. HA! I won't be doing anything right away, but will be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

Take care, stay safe.
Rita