Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

RE: Opinions on Pirrelli tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Default RE: Opinions on Pirrelli tires

I understand what you are all saying about Pirrelli tires and I don't doubt a word of it, but I hit a curve way too fast last night and between these tires and Corvette performance, I was in total control and amazed at how my vette seemed to hug the road. Maybe it is because the tires are so new, or maybe the Pirrelli company has made some improvements over the last few years . . . I don't know. Definitely seems they were designed for high performance. I understand they are real bad in the rain, but that won't matter for me since I never drive my vette in the rain. I will not be buying another set and will keep a close watch on these tires, but at this point I have no complaints.

Just wanted to share my experience with you all.

Take care, stay safe.
RJ

Old 11-07-2006, 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: rjensen

but I hit a curve way too fast last night and between these tires and Corvette performance, I was in total control and amazed at how my vette seemed to hug the road.
Hmmmm were you having a little fun, or did that curve surprise ya?

Thats cool Rita, and you might be right maybe they have a better tire out now. I'm just curious how many miles do you have on these?
I do remember these are good tires for gripping the road, and i never had a problem with the performance of them, i just don't know what caused the tread to peel away like that.
Well I do hope you don't have any problems with them, and they turn out to be a good tire for you
And keep an eye on those turns

Old 11-08-2006, 12:54 AM

ORIGINAL: gorichb
Hmmmm were you having a little fun, or did that curve surprise ya?
Well, Rich, I must admit it was a little bit of both.
I do love to drive my car - hard at times (I am so new to the vette world)and love how it handles, but I will be sure to heed your warning and keep a close eye on my tires. When I bought the car it had 17K on it; now it has 21,8K. The dealership said when they sell a used car if the tires have less than 90% life on them they replaced them. Well, they didn't replace these tires, so the original owner must have bought them just prior to trading in this vette. They still have the little rubber qwills that you see on new tires, so I'm guessing they are still pretty new.

About the Vararam C.A.I. - they said it would be 3 to 6 weeks and that was about 3 weeks ago. I just called them and they said they didn't have the sticker yet, so I am still waiting. I'll be sure to let you know when I get it.

Thanks again for all your help.
Take care, stay safe.
Rita