Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Service Column Lock

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Default Service Column Lock

Hi all,

Bought an 03 a few months ago. A friend ran a history on it and found a GM recall for a service column lock issue. I have had no problems with this issue, however decide to go to the local chev dealer to do the update. Update complete; and now with less than 70 miles the DIC is showing a Service Column Lock error. I tried to drive it and each time I let out the clutch the engine would die. The books says have it towed.

My question is: Will the chev techs redo this or is it something I will have to pay for.

I have a purchased warranty on the car, that I bought through another local dealer where the car was bought and will check to see if I have to take it to the dealer I pruchased the car form.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Default RE: Service Column Lock

The dealership recall to which you may be referringdid nothing more than upgrade programming. A few years ago, the dealerships were installing a block-off plate in automatic tranny C5s only. I asked my dealership at the time if they would do the same for my MN6 (manual tranny) C5, but was told, "No can do." I then promptly installed a collumn lock bypass module which eliminated any future column lock worries.
However, I believe GM has since authorized the dealerships to block off even the manual-tranny C5s. Cal your dealership service manager to find out if this is, in fact, the case.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:51 PM

Dave01,

Thanks for the reply. The dealer hauled it to their garage today. I spoke with the mekanic, that told me about everything you did. He said they put in a smaller "ring" in the stearing column so the wheel could not lock up (which it don't) although it can be heard when the key switches on and off. Tonight before it was trailered for the tripI started it and a "remove the key and wait 10 seconds" error came up, I cleared it to look at the column lock error. Main thing is that is is still not drivable.

There is so much stuff on the net to read. With a 172K vetts with this issue you would think that the engineer at the bowtie plant would figure out how to resolve the issue. This problem has been around for a long time. I see a couple of web sites are selling a cure for $49.50. This will be my next stop providing the dealership don't FIX the problem. The "tech" I spoke with tonight jokingly said that this is only my second trip. They have one vette that he has "FIXED" seven time already. My reply...FIXED?........This guy must start and look at his car instead of driving it.

Thanks again!

Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 PM

I had to have my 01 towed after about 1500 "cycles" of the locking actuator. And as I mentioned, this occured shortly after the dealership "reprogrammed" the software. Before you buy a column lock bypass, call the manufacturer of it to ask if any of the dealership "fixes" would prevent the bypass from working. I've seen reports of the bypass not functioning correctly after a dealership alteration - that's why I mention it.

It's been a few years now after I installed the bypass and I have not had one problem with it or that pesky column lock.

Dave

Old 01-11-2009, 04:12 PM

Got ther car back this past Friday, late evening; after nine days living with the dealership. They have stated that they now have a new product that cures this ill once andfor all. Evidently there has been an internal doc floating around for a few months that provides detailed instructions to the dealer on how to fix the issue once andfor all with a supposed new product.

Anyway I have made it though the weekend without the code showing.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:28 PM

Do you still hear the bzzzzzt when you turn the ignition key on or off? Hopefully, the actuator is completely disabled.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:42 PM

Dave01,

No see, feel, or hear anything. I'd like to keep it that way!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:23 AM

Hey guys I have a 98 automatic with service column lock problem I checked with the dealer and the recall worked was performed. So I installed a the column bypass yesterday and now I have the pull key wait 10 seconds and service column lock problem. With the bypass installed I can't hear the motor engaging so I take it that the bypass is working. I've went through the install a few times hoping something will reset but nothing has changed. I have also reset DIC and everytime it has been the same code the PCM. I had better luck getting it out of my driveway before I installed the bypass any help out there thanks ....

Old 01-18-2009, 09:36 AM

Monster 05

This issue is a safety recall........My dealer stated that they must perform the recall as many times as it takes to get it right. Mine went back twice before they got it done correctly. (I hope) Warranty on the car has NO play....the recall is PAID for by the dealer.