Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

SLP LoudMouth Cat-Back

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Default SLP LoudMouth Cat-Back

Anyone heard the SLP loudmouth? I heard its pretty loud, which i like.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Default RE: SLP LoudMouth Cat-Back

Its loud, and produces as much but no more power than other cat backs.

Too loud to me, plus I don't particularly like the tone, but some do.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:28 PM

Well i was thinkin about getting that or tring to get my hands on the stock Z06 catback....or maybe dual E-Cut Outs. That away i can be quite, but when i wanna race it will free up power and be rather loud.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:11 AM

I watched a couple minute in car video of somebody with the SLP system and the resonance was simply unbearable. He only kept them on the car for a few weeks, before getting rid of the system because it was that bad. From the outside of the car it is definitely a mean sounding system, but you gotta have some tough ear drums to actually drive the car on a regular basis.

Old 12-24-2006, 02:04 PM

LOUD?
you bet. Heard it at the speed shop awhile back. The guy was there having it taken off, said he couldn't stand it anymore.
I like LOUD, but the resonance in that thing on the freeway had to be unbearable.
He said what aggravated him the most was that he couldn't hold a conversation, or hear the stereo.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:16 PM

This is a post from another site from the guy who had the video of his Vette with the SLP system on it:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had enough of this SLP Loudmouth exhaust. I've had enough fun with it at WOT, set off enough car alarms, scared enough senior citizens... but I don't want to have to buy hearing aids in 6 months.

1. I had to wear ear plugs for the 22 hours round trip to Carlisle.
2. I'll have to wear ear plugs for the 38 hour round trip to Utah.
3. I need ear plugs around town now because my ears are really bothering me even days after being in the car.

It's not that the LOUD bothers me in the least, it's the never-ending and eardrum-shattering resonance between 1800 and 2600 RPM. Which is exactly where the car is in 5th/6th at highway speeds. I don't even want my son in the car for fear of what it'll do to his ears. And, I can't drive the car at 3000+ RPM all the time, which is what I do around town now to save my ears.

I am gonna install the x-pipe from ARK Performance (which just arrived and looks killer) and put the titanium back-half back on.

LOUD is great, but this drone is utterly f**king ridiculous.

PROS
- You'll scare children. Well, anyone on the sidewalk really, or in the buildings next to the sidewalk.
- Set off car alarms in a parking garage, plus the level above, and below at the same time.
- If a bad song comes on the radio... you'll never know!
- If you see a wedding going on in a church, go WOT and the priest will have to stop talking until you are 1.5 miles away.

CONS
- You'll go deaf, it's only a matter of time.
- The construction/fabrication quality is complete and utter junk.
- The hardware is so terrible that the 4 tips don't stay lined for 5 minutes unless you weld a bar inbetween the center two. (like I had done)
- The tips are boring and all of the ellipses are different shapes.

Good thing I didn't pay a nickel for it. (No wonder it was free). Freebies are great, but not at this expense.

I cannot emphasize enough that you don't want this exhaust system.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:56 PM

Yeah im thinking the cut outs are gonna be my chose, thats and there cheaper LOL

Old 12-25-2006, 12:31 PM

NOW cut outs
thats the way to go

Old 12-26-2006, 03:51 AM

I have a single cutout on my SHO and I consider it the best mod I ever did to the car. I'm not a vette owner yet so I have no first hand experience with a cutout on a C5, but I would recommend it. my car is almost silent with it completely closed even with the flowmaster mufflers, and with it open the sound is just unreal. I have the McCord power plate, and the switch allows you to position the butterfly at any position you want, so you practically have a volume selector for your exhaust. Its the coolest exhaust invention ever.