Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Soon-to-be C-5 owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Default Soon-to-be C-5 owner

Hello. I hope to buy a C-5 in the next few months. It will be my first Corvette after many years of wanting one. I just wanted to know if there are any things that I should be looking for as far as possible problems. I am currently looking at a one owner 1999 convertible 6 speed with Heads up display. I am a car guy, butbelieve that people that own a certain model know better what to look for. Thanks in advance for your help. Al.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Default RE: Soon-to-be C-5 owner

Leaking differential gasket: Crawl under the back and take a look. There should be no oil around the diff seal.

Column lock: make sure this is disabled by a column lock bypass or dealer removal of the actuator. When you turn the ignition to "On", you should NOT hear a "bzzzzzzt" sound. If you hear it, you will have to buy a column lock bypass ($50).

Door lock modules: Test the door locks. Click the remote once to lock (both doors should be locked) and then click twice to unlike both doors. Clicking once would unlock just the driver's door.

Horn: Make sure it works, both from the steering wheel and when the alarm is activated (if it is set this way).

Chaek the D.I.C. for codes and report back if you find any. Instructions for doing this is in the manual.

Fuel level and oil pressure gauges: Make sure they work properly.

Seat functions: make sure all controls for motion and bladder (side bolster and lumbar inflation) operation are working.

Headlight operation: Check function

Well, that's all I can think of right now - good luck!

Dave

Old 02-26-2007, 11:07 PM

I certainly don't want to put a damper on your idea, but unless you have "backup car" and a nice warm garage to put that convertible in 3-4 months out of the year, I would reconsider buying a convertible.....

I would look at a "coupe", as it would be a better year round car, and you can remove the roof whenever weather permits. I have seem many convertible owners commenting on how "winter weather" takes it's toll on the convertible top material. The cost of replacing a convertible top will be at least $1500..

AS far of what to look for with the 99 year model....here's what I've experienced with my 99. The steering column lock and leaky "butt" problems have already been mentioned.
- Battteries generally only last 3-5 years...ask how old the current batter is.
-Outside air temperature sensor went bad...
- "Rocking" driver'sseat. Under hard acceleration you will actually "feel" the entireseat"slide or tilt" backwards. IF this is present...be aware that it's a $1000 fix at the dealer.

That's about it.......GOOD LUCK!!![sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-08-2007, 08:32 PM

First: You need a well paying job
Second: You need saved $$
Third: A sensible mind to own such power
Good Luck!!