Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Tire monitoring systemquestion

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Default Tire monitoring systemquestion

I keep getting the message to "Check Tire Monitoring System". When I view my gauges, it shows the right rear air pressure as XXXX.

I'm assuming there must be a mini battery (that has gone dead) within the special valve stem asm. Has anyone had this problem, I know the Chevy dealer sells those valve stem units, I'm just guessing there is a battery inside to send the PSI signal to the monitoring system[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 12-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Default RE: Tire monitoring systemquestion

Tire Pressure Monitor Description and Operation
The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System warns the driver when a significant increase, or decrease of tire pressure occurs in any of the 4 tires and allows the driver to display the individual tire pressures and their locations on the Driver Information Center (DIC).

The system uses the powertrain control module (PCM), body control module (BCM), Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), DIC, Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR), a radio frequency (RF) transmitting pressure sensor in each wheel/tire assembly, and the serial data circuit to perform the system functions.

When the vehicle is stationary the sensors internal roll switches are open, which puts the sensors into stationary mode. In this mode the sensors transmit once every 60 minutes. As vehicle speed increases, centrifugal force closes the sensors internal roll switches, which puts the sensors to go into drive mode. In this mode the sensors transmit once every 60 seconds. The RCDLR receives and translates the data contained in each sensors RF transmission into sensor presence, sensor mode, and tire pressure. The RCDLR sends the tire pressure and tire location data to the DIC via the serial data circuit where they are displayed as follows:

• FRONT L XX R XX PSI

• REAR L XX R XX PSI

When the TPM system detects a significant decrease of tire pressure, the LOW TIRE PRESS XX, or XX TIRE FLAT - MAXIMUM SPEED 55 MPH - REDUCED HANDLING messages are displayed on the DIC and the low tire pressure indicator is displayed on the IPC. When the system detects a significant increase of tire pressure the HIGH TIRE PRESS XX message is displayed on the DIC. Both the messages and indicator can be cleared by adjusting the tire pressures to the recommended kpa/psi. Refer to Tire Placard in General Information, or to Tire Inflation Pressure Specifications in Maintenance and lubrication. The sensors pressure accuracy from -10 to +70 degrees C is +/- 7 kPa (1 psi). The system also compensates for changes in barometric pressure using the PCMs map sensor via the serial data circuit.

The RCDLR has the ability to detect malfunctions within the TPM System. Any malfunction detected will cause the DIC to display the SERVICE TIRE MONITOR message. For more information on other functions of the RCDLR, refer to Keyless Entry System Description and Operation in Keyless Entry.

For 1997-2000 C5s using Series I TPS, here is your operation:

Tire Pressure Monitor System Description
The Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system allows the driver to monitor the tire pressure in all four tires. Pressing the GAGE 2 button on the DIC will display the tire pressure on the IPC. The TPM also warns the driver of under and over inflation condition with the following IPC messages:

HIGH TIRE PRESSURE
LOW TIRE PRESSURE
FLAT TIRE
The TPM system consists of four battery powered, water resistant, radio frequency signal generator sensors and a receiver with self diagnostic capabilities. A sensor is mounted on each wheel on the back of each valve stem. The valve stem and the sensor battery are integrated and are not serviceable. The receiver is located over the LH rear wheelhouse. The TPM system uses the same receiver as the RFA system. Refer to Keyless Entry System Description in Keyless Entry, for additional information on the RFA system.

The TPM system receives the information to monitor the tire pressure in all four wheels through each of the sensors. The vehicle must be traveling 16-24 km/h (10-15 mph) before the sensors will transmit the tire pressure information. At this speed, the sensor roll switches activate in order to transmit each unique location identification code to the receiver. The TPM sensors also send the tire pressure information to the receiver within the range of 0-427 kPa (0-60 psi). The receiver interprets this data and sends a message on the serial data line to the IPC. The IPC then displays the tire pressure information for each tire. Holding a magnet over the valve stem will manually override the sensor for programming or testing purposes. When the vehicle has been stationary for more than 1 minute, the sensors enter a power down or sleep mode and stop transmitting tire pressure information. This minimizes the battery consumption rate.

The TPM system uses barometric pressure information in order to determine how to compensate tire pressure readings for different altitudes. The receiver requests the information from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) when the ignition is first turned to ON. If the receiver is unable to receive the information from the PCM, the receiver will substitute a default value and no compensation will occur.

The receiver also warns the driver of a tire over or under inflation condition. If the TPM sensors transmit a reading of over 289 kPa (42 psi), the receiver will send a message to the IPC to display the HIGH TIRE PRESSURE warning message. If a tire pressure reading between 34-172 kPa (5-25 psi) is sent, the receiver sends a message to the IPC to display the LOW TIRE PRESSURE warning message. If the reading sent is under 34 kPa (5 psi), a FLAT TIRE message will appear.
will appear.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:03 AM

[sm=happybounce.gif]
Thanks for the feedback, within all that info, I found the answer........"The TPM system consists of four battery powered, water resistant, radio frequency signal generator sensors and a receiver with self diagnostic capabilities. A sensor is mounted on each wheel on the back of each valve stem. The valve stem and the sensor battery are integrated and are not serviceable. "

Old 12-24-2008, 11:10 AM

You don't state what year your Vette is, but if it's a 1997-2000, you can purchase rebuilt TPMS at a very reasonable cost, with a warranty, or try to replace the batteries yourself.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...batteries.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...-motoring.html

Old 12-29-2008, 10:28 AM

Mine is a 2001 model, I don't recall the list price from the Chevy dealer, I can get the "garage/wholesale" price, but was not aware of rebuilt or other places to get these special valve stem units.