Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

What kind of gas mileage can I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:33 AM
Default What kind of gas mileage can I expect?

I am a new vette owner, been driving it almost 4 months, and for the first 3 weeks, I was getting over 25 MPG on the highway. I had to take it back into the dealer because they got overspray on my car when fixing a mistake they made when applying MAXGUARD. (something that protects the car and makes waxing unnecessary for 3 years +) I think the GM unloaded on the guys in the bodyshop because they messed up twice. It was after piciking up my vette for the second time that I noticed the MPG had dropped - a lot! I was now getting 19-20 MPG on the freeway. Do you think they did something to mess up my vette?

One more question: How often do you change the oil? The dealership said 3 months or 3,000 miles, whatever comes first, but after 3 months, I've only put 1,000 miles on the car and the oil is so clean you can hardly see it on the dipstick. (This car is my toy and not my everyday car. ) A friend told me 7,000 miles or once a year- whatever comes first, because synthetic oil lasts a lot longer. Is that right? My car is a 2004, C5 Coupe, and had 17,880 miles on it when I bought it. I just love this car. The acceleration is so fast even though it is an automatic. I couldn't push in the clutch (it was too stiff for me), so I couldn't get a 6 speed. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Val
Default RE: What kind of gas mileage can I expect?

I drive 100 miles per day round trip to work and get about 22mpg, the dash says 24 but it is always optimistic in its reading.

I have never gotten the fabeled 25mpg though.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:08 PM

Thanks so much for your input. I just had my vette checked today and they said everything looked fine, so I'm happy.

Thanks again for your reply.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:58 AM

You can get over 25 miles on highway driving. The night I purchased my Vette I had to drive about an hour home from the dealership and I think I averaged close to 30 on the highway. But since I do mostly stop and go driving on a daily basis I get anywhere between 16 and 19 mpg.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:42 PM

The first 3 weeks I had my vette, I got over 25 MPG on the freeway. Now, I barely get 22 mpg. I'm probably driving faster now, but even when I drive conservatively, it still does not get much better. How fast do you drive? Do you accelerate and pass a lot? The dealer told me everything checked out okay, so I don't know what to think.

Thanks for your input.

Old 06-17-2006, 03:45 AM

I average 19.6 MPG with 60% highway driving. By the way, as far as frequency of oil changes, always go by your oil life monitor or one year. After one year, my oil life monitor displays 20% remaining oil life (after 5200 miles). However, since one year has elapsed, I change the oil at that time.
The dealer, as well as all the oil change shops in the world, would love for you to bring your car in for an oil change every three months - what a joke (and a waste of money)!

Old 06-17-2006, 02:54 PM

Just looking at my oil, I knew it didn't need to be changed. It is so light in color, you can hardly see it on the dipstick. And the oil life monitor says 76%. A friend of mine said, every 7000 miles or 1 year - whatever comes first. This car is my baby - my new toy, and I love learning everything I can. Thanks so much. I greatly appreciate this info.

I know your right foot greatly affects MPG and I'm sure that's part of my problem. It is so much fun merging on the freeways! I can't help myself. Thanks, again.

Old 06-17-2006, 06:58 PM

ORIGINAL: rjensen

Just looking at my oil, I knew it didn't need to be changed. It is so light in color, you can hardly see it on the dipstick. And the oil life monitor says 76%. A friend of mine said, every 7000 miles or 1 year - whatever comes first. This car is my baby - my new toy, and I love learning everything I can. Thanks so much. I greatly appreciate this info.

I know your right foot greatly affects MPG and I'm sure that's part of my problem. It is so much fun merging on the freeways! I can't help myself. Thanks, again.
You really can't use the oil color as a guide to how "used" it is, especially when we're talking synthetic oil. The factory manual specifies oil changes when the D.I.C. oil life gets down to zero or 1 year, whichever occurs first. That could be 10,000 miles, or it could be 5000 miles.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:54 PM

See, I'm learning all the time. I know the oil I've been using in my 4Runner gets real dark, so using the color as a guide sounded good to me.
Again, many thanks.