Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Wheels for the Track

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Default Wheels for the Track

All:

Just seeing what you all suggest for wheels. I have my stock Z06 wheels with the stock Goodyear F1 Supercar tires...which is fine for everyday driving.....although when I melt those...based on other posts and what I've heard from friends....I'll probably replace them with the GS-D3s. Anyway...I digress....I'm wanting to get some track wheels/tires. I've been looking around online for a while....I don't really want to spend $4,000 on 3 piece race wheels....Kinesis or Forgeline, BBS, etc.....I just don't think, at my level (a year into the road racing thing) that I would notice the weight advantages of a 3 piece racing wheel....thus restifying that much cash on just wheels. Not to mention the cost of track tires....based on the suggestion of the chief instructor in the area...I'm gonna put Toyo RA1s on whatever wheels I decide to buy.

Also, the stock sizes are 275/40-17 Front and 295/35-18 Rear (I think). I've heard from a local speed shop (need to call STOPTECH to verify).....that if I want to upgrade brakes at some point...to go with 18s front and back to give a little more clearance. So...based on that...I'm looking for 18s. I'm thinking to stay with the 275 width up front...so if I want to add spindle ducts in the future, I can. Based on another post...I can put on a 305 width on the rear wheel....give me a little more rubber....I don't really want to put a tub kit in or anything.....SO...I think I want a 275/35-18 up front and a 305/35-18 on the rear.

Anyone have any insight? Thanks.

[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 10-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Default RE: Wheels for the Track

You could race on the stock wheels for now. The problem is that anything inexpensive (less than $800/wheel) is not going to be that much better than stock. I believe you can also buy look alike wheels (look like stock ZO6) that are 18" for the front, if you want to upgrade the brakes now.

Then, when you get experience and decide to do it right, look at really good wheels: HRE, Fikse, top of the line BBS, etc.: you are not paying just for light weight. Money buys extra width and strength. I'd give up lighter weight for wider width, and one extra inch of weight adds about 10% to the spoke/rim strength needed in the wheel.

you don't want to be pushing your car on cheap wheels!

Old 10-19-2006, 06:19 PM

That's a good point Lee.....I was thinking about that earlier this morning...I want to do it right, so I don't have to go out a year or two from now and get different wheels and wonder why I didn't do it right when I had the chance.

I know a guy at the track here in Spokane with a C4 that was running on stock 5 spoke C5 rims and one broke and damaged his car..........proof right there I guess.

I know the stock rims in the back are 18x10.5. How wide can I go without having to tub it? Or do you think there is a point of diminishing resturns as far as how wide you go....for road racing....drag racing it could be more important for the launch...not that I've ever done any drag racing....just curious...if the $$$ is worth the extra inch or two of tire width.

Thanks.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:46 PM

You really can't go much wider at the rear unless you use something like the Lingenfelter tubbing kit, then you can go to 12 or 13 inch wide wheels with 335 or 345 wide tires. Stock, 305s are supposed to be the limit, and those can fit on stock width.

Drag racing is fun. There, the best thing is to put drag radials on the stock wheels -- it makes a big difference, or tub it and run 345 drag radials like I do. That almost doubles the traction off the line versus the stock tires.