Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Z06 vs Targa Top Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Default Z06 vs Targa Top Coupe

I am looking to buy my first Corvette. Can't decide on whether I should be looking at a z06 or Targa Coupe(manual only). My plans for the car are for it to be mostly(90%) a street car, but I would really love to take it to a track(road course not drag strip). Now in all honesty, the amount of track time this car would see would be quite seldom and I wouldn't beat on the car. I am not looking to set fast lap times, just to enjoy the performance a C5 has to offer. It would see a roadcourse MAYBE 2-3 times a year? The Z06 has the added performance out of the box, but I love the look of the coupe styling and one of my favorite features of the Corvette is the removable Targa Top roof.

The car would be a toy not a daily driver so I'm really mostly thinking along the lines of performance here. These cars are older and there is a lot of aftermarket stuff out there. I have a limited budget but would modify the car over time. How much would it cost to modify a C5 Coupe to match or exceed the handling, braking, and power capabilities of the Z06? Would it make more sense to just spring for the Z06 or is it cheaper to mod a coupe with the availability of aftermarket parts?

And as far as durability goes, what is the difference between the z06 and coupe drivetrain/powertrain? Is the LS6 a more stout engine for modding or is it merely a head/cam/intake upgrade to the LS1? I've read of the valve spring issues, are the LS1 and LS6 both affected? I know the z06 has a shorter ratio gearbox, but is everything else in the drivetrain the same, or did they beef some parts up for track use?

I know some of these topics have been discussed before, but I really want to make sure I make the right decision for buying my first Corvette. Thanks in advance!