Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

2005 C6 M6 delayed steering unlock when starting car or turning car off

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 08:04 PM
Default 2005 C6 M6 delayed steering unlock when starting car or turning car off

Hello everyone,

I am essentially doing some preventative maintenance.

In the last few days i noticed that when i turned my car on the steering unlock is gradually getting slower (typically it quickly unlocks) and I'm starting to think that its giving out and soon it wont unlock.

I have not gotten the "service column lock" message that everyone has gotten but I am considering getting the steering column lock bypass (which i believe should remove my issue overall since i wont have to worry about the car not unlocking the steering column).

The only thing stopping me from getting the steering column lock bypass is that I've noticed in threads that people who do this bypass, later on (few weeks or months later) begin getting the service column lock message for which their Steering Column Lock Module goes bad (had me wondering if there was a correlation between doing the bypass and the SCLM going bad)

Ive looked through many threads but I have yet to read about someone with my particular issue. If you know of any threads regarding a delay in the steering column lock please let me know!

I as well considered switching the ignition switch but don't believe it has anything to do with my issue, since when I place the car in accessory mode it slowly unlocks the steering column lock and when i press the the start button it immediately starts her right up (given I changed the starter a few weeks ago).

Old 10-08-2021, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Is the delayed unlock a symptom of a failing SCLM?