Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

C6 2005 HELP Transmission leaking out overflow tube

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Default C6 2005 HELP Transmission leaking out overflow tube

I was at sebring raceway yesterday running my 2005 corvette thru the 3.7 mile road course. It was unreal how much fun I had. You really get an appreation for our C6 vetts out there on a road course. I was running with Porsche, Farreri, Lambo's, Vipers, Mustangs and more. The car performed great untiul the last run. When I got back in the pit I noticed the back of the car had this film on it like little dots of black between the exhaust and tailights When i started to wipe it off it was appearing like oil. Well I got underneath the car and there was quit a bit of fluid all over the sway bars and in the general areaa of the trans and rearend. I looked real hard and noticed that there is a tube that sits between the tranny and rearend and that was the area that all this fluid was producing the fluid. Im real nervous now as I dont know how much I lost and with our units being sealed I cant tell. I did notice later in the day the car starting to shift harder between 2nd and 3rd. I checked out the temp of the fluid on the raceway and it was running in the 270 degree area. Driving home the car ran fine shifted fine and I noticed the Tranny temp stayed at about 198 degrees the whole way home. Im just looking for some help here as to what I should do. Is this tube there so when the fluid gets so hot and expands that it blows out the tube. How do I know how much I lost and has anyone else out there had a simular problem

Thanks ahead for any input

Jim

Old 11-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, if there were no vent you would constantly blow seals due to heat expantion of not only the oil, but the hot air pressure would do the damage.
Finding tranny fluid under your Vette is a sign that you are low on fluid.
Check with the dip stick. Check your level and smell the fluid on the stick to see if it smells burnt.
Any doubts, change the oil and filter.