Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

(FOB Question), So what happens if....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 04:11 AM
Default (FOB Question), So what happens if....

So I just got off the phone with my cousin, who works for a chevy dealership, and he was telling me about an '06 Corvette he got to take out. Thats great. He told me all about how its like a keyless entry with the push-button starter, and how it unlocks as you walk up to it as long as you have the FOB in your pocket.

So we got into, how would you get into the car if the battery went dead. And I said that I figure they had an alternate power source just for the doors. But what if the batter on the FOB went dead?

I've also learned that the car comes with a key, so there has to be a lock on it SOMEWHERE (Wether its something in the trunk, or the glovebox...)

After a few minutes of searching, I got smart and decided to look for Corvette forums.

So My Question is this. If the battery on the FOB goes dead, How can I get in (From the outside).
Is there a lock/keyhole on the outside of the vehicle anywhere?
What the heck is the key for!?!!?

Old 11-11-2005, 09:20 AM
Default RE: (FOB Question), So what happens if....

They have some feature that permits you to get into the car, if the FOB battery is dead, or the car's battery is dead (which will happen a lot more often). A salesman showed me when I was looking at them, but I can't remember. I think there may be a mechanical key hole somewhere.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:35 AM

The emergency key unlock is located under the rear licence plate of the C6!

If the FOB battery is dead, there is a receptacle located in the glove compartment.
You insert the the FOB and the car battery activates the starter switch.

Jim
2005 C6 Coupe (see Classified ad)

Old 11-11-2005, 04:15 PM

Ooops, correction!

I said that the C6 emergency key unlock is located under the rear license plate.
What I meant to say is that it is located "ABOVE" the rear license plate!

More specifically, it is on the horizontal surface above the license plate next to
the rear hatch release button.

Sorry about that.

Jim Totcke
2005 C6 Coupe

Old 11-11-2005, 05:07 PM

That's exactly what I needed.
Thankyou both very much.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:50 AM

Hi,

As a C6 owner...hopefully this will not happen BUT if the FOB battery is getting low...a message appears in the DIC (Driver Information Center) warning about it. If it fails...you go to the license plate and above it is a slot for the only key that comes with the Vette. You unlock the hatch and then pull an emergency handle on the left that will unlock the doors. Once inside...you open the glovebox and there is a slot for the FOB to be placed in...you will then get the green light on the starter button to start the car.