Which Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Default Which Mods?

I have an '09 Z06 and am wondering who has had good experience with the boltons, i.e. cold air, headers, and exhaust?
I think I'm locked into Corsa for the exhaust since I won a raffle for 50% off. I have heard some opinions on Kooks headers and Veram's intake but I also heard that Kalltech(sp?) makes a lightweight version for cold air and headers....
The ulimtate goal is to stay away from superchargers and keep everything stock except for headers, cold air, exhaust, and a tune.

The local Chevy dealer's head of maintenance siad he will keep me under warranty as long as he does not hear about me putting drags on it. After the warranty is up in 2+ years I will put a new cam into it.

Was toying with the idea for putting wider tires on it with wheels, but it is super expensive for low performance gains IMO.

Laslty - this car will be tracked after January when I take an HPDE course.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Default RE: Which Mods?

A really good set of long tube headers, keeping the stock cat back exhaust, will bring it up to around 500 RWHP. Cold air and a tune won't hurt, but the cold air will add only a little, and the tune will really do nothing more than get the most from the headers.

Drag radials are an option if you want better traction. They don't squirm the rear end like drag slicks in day to day driving, but they make it impossible to use the car in any rain, or even on a wet road.

A cam will add a bit to the car's top end power for track work but will not be without some loss of lower end and driveability: the stock cam is pretty good as an overall compromise. Having the heads opened up (porting, polishing) and using a more aggressive cam will add a more power but that is expensive and requires a pretty good tune afterward to maintain adequate driveability.

Ultimately, a seven liter LS engine can put down about 525-540 at the rear wheels before it begins to be a bit of a pain in the butt in day to day driving.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Default RE: Which Mods?

the only thing i can add is a lower stat and reset fans plus adjust torque management. good luck on tires