Corvette Forums Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Corvette Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better CF? Tell us here.

irratic engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Default irratic engine problem

I just purchased my first Corvette (1993 C4 40th Anniversary Ruby Hatchback, 80,000 miles) this past Saturday in AL and drove it back to MI. I got about 40 miles from picking it up and it began sputtering and the engine started cutting out and I would shift down (6 spd) and it would restart. I would pull off the road and let cool and it would work ok for 20-40 miles. Sometimes iran better if I were in 5th at about 62mph. I got to Franklin KY for the night and picked up an fuel filter and had it changed the next morning at a Firestone store. The Mechanic had a vet also and checked to see if any codes had been set and none were. Went to the Corvette Museum and got some fuel put in and headed on home. Still continued to have a problem but now was going about 60 miles between the problem and would clear up in about 2 miles of driving without having to come to a complete stop. Put some more fresh fuel in at Indianapolis with problem only 3-4 times 'til I got home. Yesterday I took the car to town and filled up with Shell v-power, Got one block from the station on main street and it died. Tried to start but kept quiting. about ready to push off into a parking space and it started. Let it idle for a few minutes and ran ok. My neighbor is a GM mechanic at a local GM dealer took it out and the problem started up under a hard acceleration. He will look at it next week. Now for the other info... the engine has a Diteq opti system that uses 4 coils in a bank for ignition that takes the place or in conjunction with the old optic=spark system. Thought one of the coils maybe bad as I just picked up my Aurora last night with the coil bank going out on that. It also had a Granotelli (sp) fuel pump put in August, new spark plugs and wires and new Bosch injectors at the same time. It had only been driven 50-60 miles in the last 3 months whch led me to believe that it was bad or old fuel. I do have the "SYS" light flashing with the fuel information. I see it refers to the Central Control Module (CCM) but not sure if that is a related to the problem. The Security light does not blink with it. Any Idea's???
Thanks, Scott
Scott Hansen
Charlotte, MI 48813
scott_hansenfamilyfarms@yahoo.com
scott.hansen@mibatt.ang.af.mil