Corvettes for Sale Selling your Corvette? Advertise your used Corvette to thousands of users here for FREE! Private ads only! No Commercial Posts!

1988 Coupe Black 383 Stroker

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Default 1988 Coupe Black 383 Stroker

Need a project for the winter?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160089436782

Email me at unforgettableknight at yahoo.com
Car:
1988 Chevrolet Corvette
Currently Black, Originally Dark Red Metallic
Removeable Targa Top (standard on all non-convertible models)
Z51 Performance suspension package including stiffer antiroll bars, springs, and factory installed frame braces to stiffen the frame.
Exhaust:
Completely replaced with Hooker Super Competition Full Length Headers
Hooker "Y" pipe
High Flow Catalytic Converter
Power Effects Mufflers (6 position dial to go from open pipes to fully mufflered)
Transmission
Factory "4+3" Manual Transmission
This is essentialy a 4-speed manual transmission with an automatic 2-speed overdrive for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears.
Rebuilt by Coast Corvette.
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch (balanced by custom shop)
Short throw shift kit
Engine
383 "Stroker" longblock built by custom shop, includes:
AFR 190 Heads http://www.airflowresearch.com/190sbc_sh.php
Comp Cams Pro Magnum 1.6 roller rockers and hydraulic roller lifters
Edelbrock High-Flo T.P.I. Baseplate Manifold (ported and polished)
Accel SuperRam EFI SBC Intake System (Lingenfelter designed) http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/77131.html
Lingenfelter 74219 camshaft (recommended cam for Superram intake)
Edelbrock 58mm Throttle Body
ACCEL 300+ Ignition System
Melling Pump
Canton 6qt Road Racing Oil Pan http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/...road_race.html
Jacob's Electronics Energy Core Spark Plug Wires with ceramic spark plug boots
Walbro GSS340M fuel pump (255 ltr/hr)
Ford SVO 30# fuel injectors
Computer
Stock Computer 1227165 (165) has been replaced with the computer from a 1992 Firebird 1227730 (730)
Fuel injection system converted from stock MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor to MAP (Manifold Apbsolute Pressure or speed density) sensor
Moates memcal adapter to quickly switch chips
Serial adapter to monitor engine with laptop.
NO WIRES WERE CUT. The stock computer can be plugged right back in.
Parts not installed
Complete conversion to brakes from 1996 Corvette Grand Sport including rotors, calipers, etc. All brand new OEM from dealer.
Known Issues
Wiper motor removed to clear aftermarket valve covers. Swaping to shorter valve covers would allow re-installation. I planned to never drive the car in the rain.
The "+3" portion ( of the transmission is curently disabled. It was controlled by the stock computer. I have documentation on setting up a manual switch. Can also be fixed by swaping back to stock computer (including re-enabling the MAF it would probably take less than an hour)
The custom chip currently in use has NOT been adjusted for wide-open throttle. it is adjusted well for low to mild accelloration and the car functions fine as a daily driver. This is because:
There is an oil leak at high RPMs (>4500). I have not had a mechanic look at it. This is not a small leak and I am not sure where it is coming from. No leaks under normal driving, only when you really get on the gas.
Paint is in fair to poor condition. Peeling in spots, showing original red color.
Body is good and straight. Only issue is that the targa top flew off on a quick trip to the store without it fastened correctly. It skidded on the asphalt and put gouges in the panted side of the top. This will require bondo/sanding, etc.
This car will not pass CA smog as is. I get by because it is registered in a county that only requires smog checks on transfer of ownership. If you know someone who will pass it for you, or you live in a state that has more lienient smog laws, you are in luck. If not, well you could swap parts back and forth or come up with another solutions. Either way SMOG is something you agree to deal with by bidding, not me.
Power Antenna does not go down on its own.
Driver door cover loose.
Paint removed to plastic on passenger side near bumper.
Car was just washed in picture. Paint is not as glossy as it appears.
Seats are in good condition except are of power controls, see pictures.

If desired, most parts removed are availible and will be included at no extra cost.
Specifically Computer, exhaust manifolds, catalytic converter forward exhaust incluing pre-cats, wiper motor, MAF. Original engine is not.
I can also include helms service manuals for the car at no extra cost.
I have many receipts. Unfortunately somewhere in 2 moves my notbook that documented the milage that I swapped the engine and changed the oil was lost. I bought the car with 129,265 miles on it in January of 2001. So, you can be sure that the new engine has less than 5,000 miles. Really, it is less then half of that.
I can include the laptop (setup with all software) and hardware that I use for scaning, monitoring, data logging, burning chips, etc. for $200. (Dell Lattitude CPI PPX) I can also give you many websites with tons of articles and forums with people who can help you if needed. I can answer questions as well.
This car was bought as a project car. I was planning on making a daily driver that I could roadrace and autocross on the weekends for fun. The goal on the engine was 400+ HP and 450+ torque. The lingenfelter superam 383 combination cosistently makes these numbers, usually closer to 420 HP and 480 torque. I switched the computer from a MAF based system to a MAF system because I wanted to burn my own chips for the car and I could find a lot more information on tuning a MAP (or speed density) system. If you want to learn to tune the car on a MAF system or just want to have a custom chip burned by a tuner by all means go back to the MAF setup with the stock computer. The stock computer will literally plug right back in, then you need to hook the MAF back up and you will be set to go.
I would love to continue with this car, however I have gotten married, bought a house, had a daughter, and have a son on the way. I simply dont have the time to work on it anymore.
If you want a car to get in and race, this is car is not for you. If you want a running car with lots of upgrades and lots of potential, this may be it.
Feel free to send me any questions and I will answer them if I can.
Buyer pays all shipping costs or picks up locally. $300 deposit due in 48 hrs. Full amount due within 1 week unless other arrangements are made in writing. Money Order, Cashiers Check, or Cash ONLY.
Basic Carfax info is:
VIN 1G1YY2184J5112373
Year/Make/Model: 1988 CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Body Style: HATCHBACK 2 DR
Engine Type: 5.7L V8 TPI OHV
Manufactured In: UNITED STATES
Search Results: 9 records found in our database
Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
05/13/1997 112,554 Auto Auction
Pacific NW Region Vehicle sold
03/11/1998 112,990 Auto Auction
Pacific NW Region Vehicle sold