General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Check Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Default Check Engine light

On my C-6 I have installed a set of LG Motorsports long tube headers with racing cats, Lg Motorsorts 3inch X-pipe into Borla stinger exhaust, On the intake side a BlackWing cold air, stock MAF, the car did fine for about 2 months , now the Check Engine Light comes on. If the battery is diconnected the light will reset for about 40 miles then comes back on.
Also, not technical but a question, I'm in new england and I'm looking for a person to do some Air Brushing, HELP!!!!

Old 02-19-2006, 02:40 AM
Default RE: Check Engine light

Ok, you have some sort of minor problem with the programming of the ECM: your headers and sor forth have caused a change in the fuel air mixture of something.
The 40 miles or so is a "drive cycle": the engine computer is set up to wait for about a typical period of driving before making any decision about whether it has a problem or not. After this distance, for some reason, on your car, it is unhappy.

Basically, you need to take this to a place that knows what it is doing and can re-program the engine control module (ECM) to adjust. They should put it on a dyno (telling you among other things, how much Hp you gained from all the mods -- I would guess 20-30) and check th4e A/F ratio, etc., then re-program to optimize. At the same time, they can open up the tolerance ranges on the check engine light codes, basically telling the ECM to not get so uptight it if sees a little deviation, etc. This should fix it. The real reason you should get it to a place like this is that the ECM might be seeing something serious, like a very lean burn in the cylinders, due to the better exhexhaust of the headers, etc. Conceivably this could lead to burned pistons. Not too likely, but Regardless, you need to look after it.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

You need to have someone with a scan tool that can scan OBDII diagnostics scan for trouble codes before you make any further changes. May be something simple like a coolant sensor or air temp sensor. Then again, something else.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:20 AM

I had I think a similar problem with my C5 Z06 , but it was blowing white smoke like it was hot & blew a head gasket , when I took it to the mechanic he drove it & checked it out & said there was nothing wrong with it, I got it back & noticed It still smokes alot but only when "I Get on it" hard now I'm thinking valve , there's also a popping sound at idol ( about every8th or 10th lope there's a little pop). if anybodys got any ideas please share, I'm beginning to think I'
m loosing my mind.