General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clearing "Service Engine Soon" Light

Old 11-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Default Clearing "Service Engine Soon" Light

Hello, I am new to the forum, actually trying to help out my father, who is not so computer literate. He has a '95 Corvette, not sure about any other model info. Anyways, he had a problem with the air intake, which turned out to be a bad piece (not sure of the name, but the mechanic said it could be disconnected), upon disconnection, the car is running better than before. However, the service engine soon light is on, and I am trying to turn it off for him. I used to have a Cadillac, and you were able to access the car's computer through the air conditioning controls, so I was curious if anyone knew how to clear it on the Corvette? Thank you in advance for any help.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:53 PM

Shane,I guess nobody knows! All I know is usually if you take the negative battery cable off for several minutes that will reset most codes. Chances are whatever the mechainic "disconnected" is responsible for the code and even if you reset it,it wiil set again.
If you have OBDII,the battery cable thing probably won't work since I think you will have what is called a "hard" code,to reset that you have to plug in a scan tool and talk to the onboard computer and convince it that all is well?
There are VERY FEW things under the hood that "are not needed anyway" on a 95 vette! There is undoubtedly a lot of superfluous garbage under there,but the car "thinks" it needs all that stuff and will be unhappy if some of it is unplugged! Good Luck!
Ron