General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Default Help!!

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with corvettes, but hey, it's still a Chevy. My neighbor has a 95 S10 pickup, he just rebuilt the engine, it's a 2.2 liter with a 5 speed manual transmission. When he set the motor back in he obviously didn't have the splines on the input shaft of the transmission aligned and he tried to force it using the bolts and cracked the bell housing. Now he wants to trade me the truck for a nitrous kit I have, I think I have about 600.00 in the nitrous kit. I'd like to have the old truck, and it would help me keep the mileage down on my dually.

My problem is I can't findjust thebell housing anywhere. I've checked within a hundred mile radius with no luck . I can find the whole transmission, but I don't want to buy the whole thing. I was hoping maybe someone could point me in the right direction.
Thanks

Edited to add...
I was thinking,... I know, it scares me too.

How much trouble would Irun into byputting a 350 engine and a 350 auto transmission in the S10. I can get my hands on those fairly easy. What I'm wondering about is the front suspension, and rear end. I know the front springs would have to be beefed up, but what the front wheel bearing assembly. Know of any other problems Imight run into??

Attn Moderator, can you please move this thread to the general tech board?
Thanks

Old 09-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Help!!

I thought about the same swap for my '86 S-10. I found that I would need to change a lot of wiring and 'puter system, so I decided against it. Wheel bearings will hold up fine. Rear would be O.K., as long as ya don't pump a lot of horses to it.

I did notice though, that a standard Chevy bell would work.
Food for thought.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Not up on the engine swap but I'm sure there is something out there on the web...It's been done a billion times. Maybe try an S10 forum with that one. As for the bellhousing, isn't italuminum? If so it can be welded with a tig. and be stronger than new. Good luck with what ever way you go.
An S10 with a bad *** 350 would sure be fun!!!
Cheers

Old 09-27-2007, 08:27 AM

Hey, thanks for the replies... I'm going to go take a closer look at the truck this afternoon. The engine and transmission I have is in a 78 Camaro that has too much rust damage to try and restore it. I rebuilt the engine myself, so I know whats in it, it's bored .030 over, the cam is one step above stock, I call it an "RV" cam, it provides just a little more torque. What I'm trying to figure out is why it would need a computer, the engine is carbed, so it will run just fine w/out a puter, and the trany has a manual kickdown. What other reason would it need one?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:52 AM

A carbureted 350 with 350 tranny without torque converter clutch would not need a computer, if your tranny does have torque cnverter clutch there are cheap and easy ways to make that work without a computer. I have not ever installed a small block in an S10, but I know it gets done a lot, and usually nothing else gets changed, but I am sure some stiffer front springs would improve the ride & handling.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:40 AM
cwb

I saw the 350 / TH 700 swap on one of the car TV shows - shadetree mechanic, trucks!- one of 'em.

They put it in a '99 s10 extreme, and it was a high tweak twister, so they swapped the rear end too. If your buddies has a 2.2, chances are it wasn't torquein' enough to take any lifetime off of the rear end (probably a Dana 30), which is the same as the s10 4.3 v6. That's probably why his tranny gave out first.

That's also what Advance Adapters told me when I was thinkin' about swappin' my '81CJ7's original GM 2.5L for a v8. (I ended up keepin' the 4, BUT, I had it bored, deck shaved, head shaved andported, and a huge carb - I think it was 400 CFM, and header (yeah - ONE HEADER).

I put that block in BY HAND!!! Had a cuttin' board across the frame rails, and the radiator out. My next-door neighbor's boyfriend came just as I was tryin' to get the block aligned with the tranny input shaft, so I did get him to rotate the balancer bolt, since the head wasn't on yet.

It was almost so easy, I was thinkin', I shoulda' had a V8!!!!!!!