General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

huming noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Default huming noise

I already did google searches on this and couldn't find anything. Anyway, sometimes when I acclerate fairly heavily the car makes a huming sound that sounds like it is coming from the transmission in the back of the car. I don't know how to explain it other than its almost like if you went hmmmmm for like 1 second or less and then it stops. The car seems to acclerate just as hard when it makes the sound compared to when it doesn't. It also seems like it only does it in 1st gear and 2nd gear but I could be wrong. Could this be the clutch slipping or the tranny going out? It seems like if it was either that I would notice my car not acclerating as hard.Also I reved the engine several times to make sure it's not associated with the engine in any way and could never get it to make the nose. I just don't want to go to a shop blind and get hustled by someone.

Thanks!

Luke B

Old 06-04-2007, 04:40 AM
Default RE: huming noise

I replied to your e-mail, Luke, with a few ideas, but I don't know for sure. I would be interested in anyone elses thoughts. Humming -- can't think of anything exactly like that. Gear chatter is the closest thing I can think of -- and that's not good.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:57 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: chargedvette02

I already did google searches on this and couldn't find anything. Anyway, sometimes when I acclerate fairly heavily the car makes a huming sound that sounds like it is coming from the transmission in the back of the car. I don't know how to explain it other than its almost like if you went hmmmmm for like 1 second or less and then it stops. The car seems to acclerate just as hard when it makes the sound compared to when it doesn't. It also seems like it only does it in 1st gear and 2nd gear but I could be wrong. Could this be the clutch slipping or the tranny going out? It seems like if it was either that I would notice my car not acclerating as hard.Also I reved the engine several times to make sure it's not associated with the engine in any way and could never get it to make the nose. I just don't want to go to a shop blind and get hustled by someone.

Thanks!

Luke B
My '87 (auto) made a hum (from tranny or back end) for about3-4 seconds after beginning to accelerate in reverse out of the driveway. Every time, when first started, backing out of the driveway. Now, this '94 (auto) makes the same sound, shorter, when first accelerating in reverse, out of a different driveway.

You can't get the stick into neutral when it starts doing it? Gotta' be an electric motor. A bearing would squeal; any other d'line component - tranny, shaft, rearend - would would shudder the vehicle.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:27 AM

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm just going to live with it for now. The car still accelerates with the same neck snapping speed that it did before it started making the humming sound. If it did it everytime I acclerated I would be a little more concerned.

Thanks again.

Luke B