General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

live in AZ need AC immediately

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:36 AM
Default live in AZ need AC immediately

If money were no object what kind of AC system would one put in?

Would you change the fan behind the radiator? also is there a way to make sure the ac always blows EXTREMELY cold?

Summers here routinely get to 115 degrees Fahrenheit. Short of moving what do I do. It's my daily driver.

aspmaster

Old 03-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Default RE: live in AZ need AC immediately

It isn't necessarily the AC system itself, but more the quality of the refrigerant. They all use a compressor, a condensor, an evaporator, etc.. Freon systems converted to R134a can be a bit less efficient than a modern unit built to use R134a, but the major "upgrade" there is in the compressor.

I used the kit from http://www.hotrodair.com . Nice kit, nice fit, only a few "adjustments" under the hood and under the dash. I didn't want to replace all of the 25 yr old stuff with 40 yr old technology, only to convert it. Their kits are made for R134a and are pretty darn good for a reasonable price if you need to install from scratch or replace lots of the system.

If I had a decent AC unit in the car, and just wanted efficiency, I would likely have just used the evaporator and condensor from the original, and replaced the compressor with a newer, more efficient one built for R134a.

As for the refrigerant, R134a is R134a. You can add some chemicals to it to make it lubricate better, transfer heat better, etc.. Take a cruise through the AC aisle at your local Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts store. Qwikboost, Extreme Cold, Origin R134a+, ... There are lots of them on the market.

If you want to move more air through the coils, there are a bunch of third party fan assemblies you could use. In that kind of heat, it can't hurt to have more air flowing through.

bill.