General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New corvette, a few problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Default New corvette, a few problems

Hey all, just got my 99 Corvette a week ago and I've ran into some problems. First off, got that "Service Column Lock" error, read about it here and had the dealer take it for the recall. Problem is, they've had it since tuesday, and they still havn't fixed it. I read what is suppose to be being done to it, and I'm not so sure they know what they are doing. They said the recall has been done already, and that it was done improperly. They are saying something about installing a wiring harness and new motor. Are they trying to screw me here? or is this what they are suppose to be doing? Also, when shifting from first to second, no matter how hard I try to get it into second fast, it won't let me... I have to wait like a second before I'm allowed to shift into second. What could cause this? Anyway, little depressed here... havn't even got to drive it for more than 4 days and it goes out on me.

Dan

Old 07-31-2005, 04:06 AM
Default RE: New corvette, a few problems

Dan,

Don't get depressed...

The column lock thing is a known problem. I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't properly done before you got it. I would get on of the after market jobs that removes the column lock altogether.

As for the not shifting into 2nd, these cars have Computer Aided Gear (CAG) that forces you to go into 4th, skipping 2nd and 3rd if you hit certain parameters. If you look in the manual you will find out what they are, but it's an RPM and speed thing. If you want to go to second, run it faster in first, and then you can go to second, and third.

Again, they sell CAG eliminators...it's cheap aftermarket that is a simple plug in. The 1st to 4th doesn't really bother me, so I never bothered with that mod.

Mac

Old 08-01-2005, 11:40 AM

Thanks Mac. I'll look into the aftermarket column lock thing. Good to know about that CAG thing too. The dealership said they were going to be done today most likely, so I hope they get it done right this time.. they've almost had a week to do it. Anyway, it's a blast to drive... always have liked corvettes. Just wish I could have gone a little longer before it went to the shop.

Dan

Old 08-18-2005, 10:07 AM

I had the aftermarket kit put in. Had a speed shop well-regarded for quality work do it. It has worked out well. I mainly did this both because i don't trust the dealer that much and i don't like the "fix" too much - strikes me as hokey.

but realize that with the aftermarket 'fix" you no longer have a steering clumn lock. It basically disables it.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:11 AM

By the way, the shift problem can be fixed, too. It is the CAGS (computer assisted gear shift) trick that Gm installed to force you into fourth instead of 2nd unless you are really gunning it - this gets the vette out of the gas-guzzler tax rating category in EPA tests.

You can buy a CAGS-defeat kit for about $30 bucks froom Eckler's or even the dealer (I had the dealer give me one when I bought my vette new in '02, their parts department carries them, and i negoatiated it for free, but they would not/could not install it - just gave it to me).

Easy to install, although only if you have the car on a lift. Unplug the CAGS wires from the harness near the transmission, plug in this module, plug the wire back into the module, twist-tire the module to the trans, and done. No more missing 2nd gear.