Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Few problems, need help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Default Few problems, need help?

Howzit guys, I have a few problems on my 85 vette. First off, the overdrive has been acting up lately. Sometimes the overdrive doesn't kick on as soon as i turn the overdrive switch on and it doesn't come on til maybe five minutes after i've turned it on. And then sometimes, after the car has been driven for a while, turned off for maybe a few hours, i get back on the highway and it does this again. Any idea on whats wrong? Could low fluid be the cause? The second problem is that sometimes after ive driven the car, turned it off for even just a quick run into the store, when i go to start it back up, it'll start then quickly die, and then it'll talk a few seconds before it completely turns over and runs normal. Any cause to this problem? Ive changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap about a couple of months ago and it only started doin this yesterday. Any ideas?

Old 07-16-2007, 12:58 PM
cwb
Default RE: Few problems, need help?

ORIGINAL: 85vette80821

Howzit guys, I have a few problems on my 85 vette. First off, the overdrive has been acting up lately. Sometimes the overdrive doesn't kick on as soon as i turn the overdrive switch on ...
What happens it you start off with the sitch already on? (Instead of starting off with it in the 'defeat' mode?)

On the rough hot start...

How does it idle when warmed up?

Old 07-16-2007, 07:14 PM

New to vettes myself but had plenty of problems with the overdrive myself so I opted for the richmond 6 speed tranny a $3000 investment but when you consider you could spen $2000 or better having the overdrive rebuilt ( assuming you can find the parts and someone willing to take on the task!) You didnt mention where your located but engine temp has alot to do with overdrive operation must be 120degrees and above before it kicks on there are solenoids in the overdrive that could cause your problem and the switch on the shift **** has been know to have issues especially with intermittent problems, none of these are fun to tackle even with a decent amount of mechanical knowledge and to have it done is costly. Here in Phoenix to have the switch put in is $400 parts and labor Good luck!

Old 07-16-2007, 07:15 PM

forgot also when it doesnt start will it crank over but not start r doesnt it want to crank at all?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:00 PM

Could be the VATS system. Your key has a specific resistance that must match you VATS specify program setting. Make sure your key is not damaged (putting the wrong key in the wrong car). Check the resistance with a volt meter. GM Service manual has a lot of good troubleshooting tips.[:@]

Old 07-18-2007, 07:22 PM

On the overdrive, ive tried it with the switch in the on position and it will still take a while to come on. Im thinking it supposed to come on once I shift into second gear right? But for the past couple days, its been working fine. Thanks for the tip on the tranny, but im located on Maui and that seems like a long stretch although I would want the six speed tranny. On the hard start, it will crank for about five seconds or so, and then start and the idle seems normal. No irratic idling or anything. Thanks

Old 08-05-2007, 09:46 PM

i had the same prob when i first got my84 and the fluid was low it would do it around corners but i dont think yours is supposed to come on until 170* check the fluid then go from there