General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New & with a security/electrical problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:36 AM
Default New & with a security/electrical problem...

Hey everyone, if this is in the wrong section, please let me know where to post it, or admins move for me!

Sucks introducing yourself with a problem...but here goes (i was told maybe someone here could help me)...

2000 Corvette, Base Model;
Mods that might be affecting problem: Sound system, aftermarket deck, 2 subs and 2 amps. Past owner replaced computer because he had problems with the sound being wired to closely to the computer. He told me to replace the computer with the old one if there are problems, because he never had problems with that one (yes contradicting, and i don't know what to think about it). Have I replaced it to the original? No.

Bought the car, had no problems with it. It ran fine. Drove over 2k miles home from California with it...and it was fine. Drove for a month, it was fine.

the problems...
All of a sudden, the security light would come on while driving, and occassionally the wheel would lock up. The light comes on 1/3 times driving it. The wheel locks up 10% approximately, when the security light stays on while driving.

Sometimes, i'll make it about 1/4 mile, and then the wheel locks, and the car shuts off, the security light is on and it beeps (constant beep). That has happened only a few times.

I installed a battery cut off switch becuase something was not turning off and the car would never start when i went out to try it. The battery was entirely dead....or so i thought. What is really happening, is when I try to start it, The theft system won't let the car start (or so i think). When i turn on the cut off switch now...I have to wait three minutes, then put my key in, and turn on ACC...if the security light turns on, for 2 seconds, then turns off entirely, I can start the car, without problems. BUT IF THE SECURITY LIGHT BLINKS, the car won't start and i have to repeat process (take key out, wait 3 minutes, try again). The manual says that it could be a bad key. Here's the thing, It did it with the original key, I actually had the key replaced, as i lost it, so ironically, it is a new key. But, the key works, and it does the exact same thing as when i had the original key.

Sometimes when the wheel locks up, I can trick it to unlocking, by either turning off the car, and getting lucky (turning on while moving without it thinking it's stolen), or switching the ZR-1 suspension selector between performance, sport and tour a few times.

So...I have no idea what the hell to do. I'm afraid to take it to a dealership to be charged thousands...if it's a simple problem. I have tried pulling the BCM fuses but in any combination (of being in or out, both, or one, or either), the car won't start, it only allows for ACC, and sometimes limited ACC. I have tried disconnecting the sound, but that isn't solving the security issue either.

Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks

Tags: electrical, won't start, 3 minutes theft lock out, battery cut off;

Old 12-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Default RE: New & with a security/electrical problem...

sounds like a key cylinder issue. There is a pin that locks the wheel mechanically (there is a rod and a rack kit availible from GM to replace worn part). also the key cylinder has wires coming from it, if they are routed wrong could be shorted and binding in the column this would cause an improper passkey signal, tripping the security and possibly preventing the pin from moving properly