General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Seat Memory

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Default Seat Memory

I got into my C5 this morning and put the key in and the seat went almost all the way forward (I'm 6'4"), the mirrors adjusted inward and all of the radio stations were changed. Is this just a glitch or did my 11 year old take my vette out for a joy ride while I was sleeping?

I had to readjust everything. Even the climate controls changed. I tried pushing the memory buttons but it didn't change back to my old settings. It's odd because even the radio stations were actual stations and not random.

Anyone else have this happen? What could this be?

Old 07-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Default RE: Seat Memory

The only time I have seen this happen is when the battrery is disconnected for an extended period or gets to low. Assuming the car started fine, that is not the problem, so, hopefully it does not happen again.

There might be other explanations. Accoording to the news there were lots of aliens seen in Roswell NM this weekend. Maybe one of those little aliens with the big eyes took your 'vette for a spin.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:07 AM
cwb

No answers here, but ...

Did you buy the machine new? EVEN SO, could the preset have been set by a sales[woman]?

Were the ergonomic settings (everything but the radio)all at the [human]minimum settings as in the defaults?

Doubtfula childset ALL those settings, and then made a preset.

Random? ???

How many presets are there? Did you try all to see if yours was there?

Set the last preset for the same preferences. If it happens again, see if your is still there.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:06 PM

I think that there are three presets. There are two buttons and I think that if you push them both then you get the third. I didn't try the third but I did try 1 and 2. It didn't start making the changes until I put the key in. Can the car differentiate between different keys? I measured the resistor and it shows about 2300 ohms. I don't know what it was before. Could it have changed and this is the result?

What's interesting is that the radio was set for local stations. So I don't think that it went to some default.

I didn't buy it new. I did program memory one for myself and memory two for my wife(or vice versa, I can't remember which). It could be that it still held settings from the previous owner in the third memory and now it thinks that my key is for that memory.

I reprogrammed everything and pushed and held memory button number one until it flashed and went out. Then I pushed that button and nothing changed. I guess I'll see if it happens again. If it starts happening often then I might try to trouble shoot.

BTW, I was just joking about the kid but it's not impossible that my wife is messing with me.

Thanks,

Dale

Old 07-09-2007, 12:31 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: riley

Can the car differentiate between different keys? I measured the resistor and it shows about 2300 ohms. I don't know what it was before. Could it have changed and this is the result?
Yes, it can. Dirt/pocket lintwill change the resistance even.

I don't know what theeffect is of the 'misread' tho'. Seems it would only disable the ignition, forsecurity. Not sure about that tho'.

ORIGINAL: riley
What's interesting is that the radio was set for local stations. So I don't think that it went to some default.

I didn't buy it new. I did program memory one for myself and memory two for my wife(or vice versa, I can't remember which). It could be that it still held settings from the previous owner in the third memory and now it thinks that my key is for that memory.

I reprogrammed everything and pushed and held memory button number one until it flashed and went out. Then I pushed that button and nothing changed. I guess I'll see if it happens again. If it starts happening often then I might try to trouble shoot.

BTW, I was just joking about the kid but it's not impossible that my wife is messing with me.

Thanks,

Dale
I'm lookin' around at laptop/USB interface hardware for my antique '94. If I had a c5, or 6, I would have one tomorrow. I've seen how they work -very easy to navigate. Tells you EVERYTHING. Includingwhen stting were changed. Just gotta' pay fordigital copyright.

I'm guessin' a neighbor's devicesignalhit your machine.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:54 AM

OK, after almost two months it happened again. Except this time it happened when I turned the car off. As I pulled the key out the seat went all the way forward and came up. That put me, at 6'4", in an awkward position. I had to put the key back in and move the seat back so that I could get out of the car.

I 'm probably gonna catch on fire for saying this but, I guess that I should expect less than perfection from a Chevy. You'd think that by now GM would know how to make electronics work in a vehicle.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:03 PM

Lately, I have experienced something similar. When I start my vette all of a sudden the seat moves foward and the steering wheel moves closer to me. It is really weird when this happens , especially the movement of the steering wheel coming toward you. I am not sure, but thought Imight be inadvertently touchinga buttonon the keyless entry remote that is causing this to happen. Been planning on checking out my manual, but have not as of yet. Will report anything I learn.

RJ