General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starter giving problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Default Starter giving problems

I purchased a 94 6 speed vette about three weeks ago. I got the car home and maybe a week later the starter started acting up .Sometimes it will start right up and other times it will click. I will attempt to start it 3 or 4 times and it will start.This morning I started it and pulled it out of the garage and when I turned off the switch the starter was still turning the motor like I was trying to start it. I attempted to cut the car off 4 times and it finally cut off. I was wondering if anyone has had this problems and can help me .

Old 06-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Starter giving problems

This sounds like a possible ignition switch prob.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:59 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

This sounds like a possible ignition switch prob.
I've heard of this before.

Doesn't the solenoid have a mechanical switch in it, which carries the 12 volt through the solenoid to the starter? Seems I've heard something like this, where the solenoid's internal switch sticks in the 'energized' position, and continues to engage the flywheel (and sometimes it sticks in the 'open' position, and you get a 'no start')...

I don't think all the battery's amperage goes through the ignition switch - just an amp or two to physically close the solenoid's circuit. Right?

Old 06-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

You're right cwb. Although, sometimes the ignition switch may continue to provide power to the solinoid. I think you may be on the right track though, the solinoid may be bad.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:51 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: Alans 94 vette

I purchased a 94 6 speed vette about three weeks ago. I got the car home and maybe a week later the starter started acting up .Sometimes it will start right up and other times it will click. I will attempt to start it 3 or 4 times and it will start.This morning I started it and pulled it out of the garage and when I turned off the switch the starter was still turning the motor like I was trying to start it. I attempted to cut the car off 4 times and it finally cut off. I was wondering if anyone has had this problems and can help me .
So as you backed the car out, could you tell that the starter was still engaging the flywheel the entire time the motor was running?

If it's the ignition switch itself, like C3 said, it could be a matter of powder graphite lube (or petroleum lube). If a solenoid problem, it's integral with the starter assembly - I've never done that type of solenoid replacement (but that might ALSO be a lube fix).