General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:39 AM
Default starting problem

I just bought a 90 Corvette. The previous owner told me he hasn't driven the car but 1k miles in the last two years and he only knew the starter wouldn't work after the engine had reached running temp. So, I have had it tuned up with new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, oil change and a NEW STARTER. It starts fine from a cold start, but even after the starter change when it reaches running temp the starter doesn'tturn overor if it does it does so after several tries turning the key. I do think someone knew what the problem was because there is a wire coming from somewhere (I haven't traced it back yet) that if it doesn't crank you just touch this wire to the battery positive and it will immediately crank. My son says it possibly has something to do with the passkey. I also understand there are some options to bypassing it possibly if this is the problem. Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time. BTW, this car is immaculate or I would not have bought it with this problem or one other one I will post later. It has only 87k miles.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:33 PM
cwb
Default RE: starting problem

ORIGINAL: Phinallya90

I just bought a 90 Corvette. The previous owner told me he hasn't driven the car but 1k miles in the last two years and he only knew the starter wouldn't work after the engine had reached running temp. So, I have had it tuned up with new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, oil change and a NEW STARTER. It starts fine from a cold start, but even after the starter change when it reaches running temp the starter doesn'tturn overor if it does it does so after several tries turning the key. I do think someone knew what the problem was because there is a wire coming from somewhere (I haven't traced it back yet) that if it doesn't crank you just touch this wire to the battery positive and it will immediately crank. My son says it possibly has something to do with the passkey. I also understand there are some options to bypassing it possibly if this is the problem. Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time. BTW, this car is immaculate or I would not have bought it with this problem or one other one I will post later. It has only 87k miles.
Wish I had a quarter for every new part bought in attacking undiagnosed problems...

When it starts cold, turnit off, and attempt to restart it.

C4 a's (84 - 90) has oftentimes a vats problem, for which a by-pass can be purchased.You need more symptoms diagnosed, before that conclusion can be drawn.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Ya might look into gettin' a heat shield for the starter.
Just a thought.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:23 PM

Probably aint the starter, some other overly sensitive electronic component is acting up with the heat. Start relay, or another relay related to starter control?

Old 06-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

You're probly onta sumpin there Buckshot.
There I go again, thinkin' "old school".
I'll sit down now. [&o]