New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

1978 corvette headlight electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Default 1978 corvette headlight electrical problems

I have no power to the headlights, high or low beams. The headlights raise and lower correctly. I have been changing the motor but i think i used the lights after the motor change. Side marker lights all work. I can not find power on the wiring anywhere. All of the fuses in the fuse block are good. I do not know where to look to find the problem. Is there another fuse panel or an in line fuse somewhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-07-2010, 02:30 PM

About the only thing I can see that would cause all that would be one of the fusible links over above the starter. There's a ground connection on the left fender/radiator support junction that could cause no headlights,but you say you have no voltage. It could also be the headlight switch or the dimmer switch. Can you run a jumper from battery + to one of the headlight wires, might tell you something? You could also run a jumper to the dimmer switch and see what happens?
Good Luck!
Ron

Old 05-08-2010, 02:39 PM

Ron: Thank you for your suggestions...they were dead on...someone had removed the fuseable links but in changing the motor, i had pulled a lead loose...i have look for 2 days to find the problem prior to you help...fixed it in 10 minutes....tonight is my sons prom and all he had asked for was to be able to take his girlfriend to the prom in the vette....without your help...i was not going to happen....now he is a happy young man...thank you again...David

Old 05-08-2010, 07:44 PM

Great! Just proves that even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while! You've kinda got your neck stuck out if you're running without those fusible links. A piece of 14 gauge wire about 3 or 4 inches long spliced in there makes a really good fusible link. If you have a problem the 14 gauge will melt and make a lot of smoke but that's better than the seat foam melting and making a lot of smoke as the car burns to the ground! 'Vettes will burn clear to the ground I've seen 'em where the bare wheels were the tallest thing left standing! Replace those links or get an in-line fuse holder and put a fuse in there. A 50 amp fuse will blow before the car burns down.
Goin' to the prom in a vette! Lucky kid! Glad I could help!
Ron