New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

First Vette

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Default First Vette

G'Day There
I'm an Aussie, from theGold Coast, in sunny Queensland, AUSTRALIA.
I've wanted a Vette since I was a teenager (which is a long time ago now), so I thought...bugger it...I'm going to fly to the States, (visit a friend in Henderson, a suburb of Las Vegas, Nevada)buy a Vette, drive it around there for awhile, then ship it back to Oz.
I had to buy one that's over 30 years old, so I can have it registered L/H drive in Queensland. If it's younger than 30 years then you have to have the steering converted to R/H drive, which is about $22,000 Oz for a C3....alot of money!!!!!!
I ended up buying one, UNSEEN, off Ebay, from Columbus Ohio.It was very nerve racking to say the least.
Anyway it turned out to be a very nice looking car, both mechanically and cosmetically.
It's a '79 Dark Jade Green Coupe Auto.
We flew to Columbus, oicked it up and just jumped in a drove it back to Vegas, via The Corvette Musuem, in Bowling Green, Kentucky, Memphis and Graceland, Little Rock, Arkansas, and the Grand Canyon.
We did 2354 miles and it went like a dream, with only a couple of small problems along the way.
I thought that was fantastic for a 29 year old car that I'd never seen before!!!!!!
Since being back in Vegas I've taken it to a Transmission place, because it was sleaking underneath somewhere, and they've told me of a few problems I need to fix. The major one being the differential needs to be rebuilt (it was making a bearingwhining noise when you backed off the gas pedal). It also needs some power steering repairs, I think just the cylinder needs replacing (the guys haven't finished inspecting it fully yet), the valve cover gaskets and the transmission pan gasket needs replacing and a new set of shocks fitted.
All in all that's not too bad and it'll be right to go after these few repairs, and it needs a new windshield (it was already cracked).
I can't wait to get it back to Oz, although I have to wait till the new year to register it (it'll then be 30 years old), but that'll give me time to "tinker" with it....you know a little chrome under the bonnet...I mean HOOD, etc?????
Anyway I'll keep you posted on how things go, and put a couple of photos in later.
I also want to ask a couple of "technical" questions, when I figure out how and where??
Take it easy. C3's ROCK!!!!!!
Beno (Peter B.)

Old 09-17-2008, 09:50 PM
pg
Default RE: First Vette

Hi benobenson! Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first Vette! Your right C3's do Rock!
Rear end: there's lot's of labor involved to get it out, and it has to be set up properly, so you might want to get that done before you ship it over. You can pull the rear out by itself or with the trailing arms. If you pull everything out at once get the trailing arms rebuilt while your at it. (Get new bearings and bushings). It will cost less here in the states rather than paying for shipping. Might as well replace the 4 U Joints in the half shafts and the 2 on the drive shaft while there out.
Power steering: get the full kit! Replace the clyinder and control valve and the lines and be done with it.
Windshield: Any "Quality" shop can do that in 1 or 2 hours, and it will give you an opportunity to see if you need any repairs on that part of the birdcage.
I cracked my windshield when I hit a low flying bird one day, there was nothing but feathers and glass flying into the car that day! But that's a story for another day.
Sounds like you had a fun trip after you picked it up, I visited Graceland once, I forget, is it on Elvis Presley Drive or Airway Drive? I do remember it being at the end of the Memphis Airport landing strip.
Haven't gotten to the grand Canyon yet, but maybe someday.
What's to see in Little Rock?
I did a ground up restoration in 2001 and my Vette has been nothing but fun to drive ever since, I'm sure your friends "Down Under" will flip out!
Welcome again and enjoy your new Vette, Peter G. AKS PG.