Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

first ever post here...and my first issue: Intake and full exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Default first ever post here...and my first issue: Intake and full exhaust

hey whats up guys, this is my first post....

I have been a corvette fan since i was 5yrs old....i saw one fly by on the highways of new jersey and always told my mom....I WANT A CORVETTE! now at 24 i have my vette!

to get to the point....

i have had since feb and its a dream. but i want to start tricking it out like i have done to my other cars....just now i dont want to cut corners or do things half fast...this is my dream car, my child. lol....

im looking to puta good intake and exhaust system....so far im pretty much sold on the blackwing for the intake(i think its made by slp), and borla for the exhaust(from headers all the way to the back).....am i on the right direction here? should i consider other brands? how much extra horsepower can i expect from these upgrades?ive never really dabbled in performance ive always been about the sound and cosmetics of the car...

Old 12-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Default RE: first ever post here...and my first issue: Intake and full exhaust

Well congrats on the car, I know you love it cause I'm loving it just reading about it.
I like the Intake choice, I've bought many things from SLP and they are great people.
Now, about exhaust, This is what I would do. Go to LG Motorsports or Kooks and get headers from them, they are long tube headers. Much better in way of performance. Plus I think the Borla is shorty headers and that's not really an improvment over stock. Now, comes the hard choice, the cat back. Honestly I would run no cats and get O2 simulators then go on eBay and try to find a lightly used C6 Z06 Titanium exhaust(or you local Chevy dealer, I would assume you could buy it from them also). You won't be able to flow much better than that. Now, that will give you a real Corvette and raspy sound. I love it. But, if you are wanting the real deep bass sound, go with Borla.
Just my $0.02 though.
Good luck on whatever decision you make, and I'm sure anything you choose will make you extremly happy.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:40 PM

The blackwing is okay. I had one on my ZO6 when it was nearly stock (just headers and a cat-back). It was easy to install and durable. Gave no trouble. By test, it only added about 3+ RWHP, but then all of the various CAI and induction kits list very optimistic gains. I think any of the kits like the blackwing are about the same, although the more invovled cold air kits like thehalltech will add a bit more power.

A cat back will not addmuch HP, maybe 10-12 RWHP. Long tube headers will give a lot more. Then get the car tuned well at a shop with the right ECMediting system, and it will have a very noticeable gain.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:54 PM

I have the Borla Stinger Exhaust on my car and would highly recommend it. As for headers I would recommmend the LG Motorsport LongTubes, they are made by Borla exclusively for LG. Two other types of exhaust that you may want to look into are Corsa and Zoomers. Corsa offers a few different set-ups that will vary in sound, so you get a nice choice of loudness. Zoomers Exhaust is one ofour featured vendors and a number of the C6 owners on this site have their set-up and absolutely love it. If you click on their link to the right you can view a couple video clips of their exhaust in action. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:51 PM

Well congrats and welcome
Sounds like your headed in the right direction regarding your upgrade choices.
I chose Callaway's Honker, and Borla stinger exhaust, cat back, and have been very happy with both.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:21 PM

Well here's the question. Do you want the "resonance" or not. I love it, love being able to hear my car. Some people are different. Now, my previous suggestion, about the C6 Z06 exhaust, it does it for you. Keeps the car quiet til 3500 RPM. Or you can go on eBay and I saw this thing where they have a program you can put into your car, and if you have the home garage door opener, that you can set it to where you can manually open and close the exhaust valves. It also comes with a seperate remote. I also saw on some other website a product where you can just wire a switch up to the exhaust or wherever you wire it up at and mount it and you can flip it and go from mild to exteme(closed or open). That's just my suggestion and that's what I would do. Good luck man.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:29 AM

I like the Resonance of the exhaust. The cool thing is, with the top down, hardly any at all, but with it up you could really here her,
and
I like it. Having the choice.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:01 PM

hey guys thanks for all the input. after doing some research, i saw that like some of you said, intake alone doesn't add THAT much power...so i decided to go with K&N's air charger(similar to the SLP Blackwing). i had a K&N filter in my other car and was pretty happy with it, so i felt comfortable going with it again. as far as the exhaustm, i think im going to be going down the path of borla's stinger model.

the intake arrives on tuesday afternoon, so it should be on by tuesday mid-afternoon...lol... ill let you guys know how it goes...thanks again...