New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

Hi! I'm in trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Default Hi! I'm in trouble...

Who I am:

I'm Dave. Originally from the UK, now living in Carpinteria, which is just east of Santa Barbara.

Why I'm in trouble:

I know nothing about the workings of the internal combustion engine, save the basics. I'm a guy whose entire life consists of taking things apart and putting them back together again, so I decided the best way to learn about automotive maintenance was to buy a car I could tear apart. Hey, if it works out, I fixed something. If not, I can frown, yell at the wife, drink heavily, and have the thing towed off to the scrap heap. I'm hoping it works out.

I just (as in today) bought a '77, which looks like it's been garaged for the last few years in a gravel pit, and had someone's pet goat living in it. I opened the drivers side door, and the interior panel just fell off in one sodden chunk. I made the mistake of getting in and closing the door, only to find that it only opens from the outside, and spent an entertaining couple of minutes climbing out through the window. This is okay, as none of the power windows go either up or down. Nor do the lights.

Hey, it only cost me a couple of hundred, and it runs pretty strong and smooth. Once you get over the fact that the power steering doesn't work (and neither do the brakes), it makes a really great noise, and has enormous pick up.

My wife, that long-suffering saint in human form, has taken the whole thing remarkably well, but I think I should probably get to work cleaning this thing up before her patience snaps and I end up having to sleep in the thing.

So, in summary, that's me. The car, I have to say, is great. It just needs brakes, fixes to the power steering, all new wiring, all new interior, new gaskets, valve seals, an entire emission system, A/C system, new gauges, lights, light assemblies, weather stripping, door handles, and extensive body repair. Apart from that, hell, it's mint. Oh, and new wheels, as the old ones are cracked up and are each secured by only two bolts. Which are rusty.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Default RE: Hi! I'm in trouble...

My kinda car guy... the steering is kinda broke, there aren't any brakes... but it goes really fast and the horn is loud! Who needs those damn door panel things anyway, they just add weight and kill your lap times.

bill.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site. Great and knowledgeable folks(not me) here. Sounds like you have at least a few months fun in front of you. I bet she looks alot better once you clean out the mess from the goats, LOL! Great to have ya here. Don't for get the wave.
Cheers

Old 02-20-2008, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. Now I'm off to the C3 forum to ask the first in a long, long line of questions :-)

Old 02-20-2008, 06:20 PM
pg

Hi Dave, welcome to the US of A, and welcome to the forum.
"Runs strong and makes a great noise."
With your sence of humor ( or should I say humour ) you'll fit in right in. PG.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to CF, Dave!
You've got the perfect car, just think of all the fun you're goin' to have.
Remember, if it ain't broke, ya can't fix it.
You can always paint it though.