New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

My 41st Vette and the best yet!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 12:29 AM
Default My 41st Vette and the best yet!!!

Hello everyone. I have been rebuilding and restoring Vettes for 35 years. I have owned all generations except the C1. I have been rebuilding totals that I bought from the insurance companies, frame offs, all the way to ones that just needed cosmetics. I had gotten away from them for the last 10 years but decided to jump back in since the prices for the C5s have gotten a little softer since the C6s have come out. Bought a 2001 metallic Navy Blue Convertible with light Oak top and interior with less than 50K on it two months ago. I have not driven the C6 yet but the C5 is the nicest I have owned yet. The first Vette that I have owned that I can actually take a long distance trip in and not be a cripple when I get out. Had a slight problem with the passenger side door losing power. I could have tracked it down in a few hours but with the help of this forum and wisdom of other Vette owners experience I had it tracked down and fixed in less than an hour. Thanks Forum. This is what the internet is all about. I have belonged to many Vette Owners clubs over the years and now am proud to be a part of a Worldwide Club through this forum. Thanks again and keep on waving. Bob

Old 07-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Default RE: My 41st Vette and the best yet!!!

I've driven several C6s and they feel about like the C5s - not sure you could tell the difference blindfolded.

Given you experience with vettes, I'm curious what is your favorite model. The 1970 big block, hydraulic lifter (400 HP) coupe with a 4-speed has always been my favorite.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:40 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the C6, that is what I expected. The interior design on the C6 has not grown on me yet, I like the wrap around into the door look of the C5 better. As far as my favorite, that depends upon what mood you are in or what you are trying to do. The 62 was cool to cruise the blvd in but the lack of refinement (ie: straight axle,poor brakes,etc) made them useless for anything but red light to red light racing. I had a '67 tripower big block that I really liked but it was a handfull to drive anywhere but straight too,especially with the gargantuan stock steering whee. I like your choice. Even though the frame and suspension were the same from the mid years to the 68 and up through 82 the lower seating position and body made them much nicer to drive straight and in the twisties. There is no replacement for displacement, they will burn through a set of tires fast, especially if you have the original bias ply tires on them. I like my big blocks without power steering though. Hard to turn at slow speeds and at a standstill but not nearly as easy to oversteer under power and swap ends!! Also even when extra insulation was added my legs felt like they were in a rotisserie from the heat radiating through the center tunnel.I am still pretty impressed with my C5 though, power, handling, comfort and gas mileage are hard to beat. It's quiet with the top up, doesn't leak and the curves are pretty sexy too. Also the heads up display should be a standard safety feature on every car made. Thanks again for your imput on the C6. take care and God Bless, Bob

Old 08-08-2006, 05:11 PM

WELCOME