New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

PowerLabs checking in here. Hi guys :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Default RE: PowerLabs checking in here. Hi guys :)

ORIGINAL: PowerLabs

ORIGINAL: chargedvette02

Another thing, blizzaks are very very very very very soft tires, which makes them very very very very easy to gain traction with............... I would have been more impressed if it would have been done with run flats on the car. Also you hype up AWD but you needed blizzaks???? I used blizzaks on my mustang and got around all winter in Colorado without AWD.... So my stang could do what your STi did???? I'm just curious, not trying to start crap or anything.
AHAHAHAHA!!! You're kidding right? Or are you one of the people I pull out of the ditch every winter because they believe that somehowif the drivetrain transfers power to all 4 wheels, then it must also somehowgrant their car magical powers when it comes to cornering and stopping. Really hope you just said that to make some kind of ridiculous argument that a front heavyrear wheel drive econobox is somehow comparable to a rally car in the snow and that you at least understand how traction works.
Also you've clearly never driven on snow tires. They might be soft, but they are also the narrowest tires you can get in any size and havemore siping and thread blocks than any other kind of tire, and as suchprovide worse traction ondry pavement than even thecheapest all seasons money can buy. My car will usually make full boost in 1st gear and never even chirp the tires, but with snows I can spin all 4 in 1st and 2nd if I try hard. There is a good reason you've never seen anyone at a drag strip with them.

Answering your question, my best 60ft launches were usually in the 1.6X range. This is not terribly unusual for all wheel drive cars on street tires. It helps a lot that I could hold each gear to 8000RPMs and reduce the number of shifts overall.
Have never tried to drive the vette in the snow and I drove the stang for 2 years in the harsh colorado winters on BLIZZAKS with no incidents, I drove my Nissan 240sx RWD car in the colorado wintersfor 2 years without blizzaks on all seasons with no incidents; so does that make my 93 240sx a rally car?Just trying to figure out the "AWD FACTOR"your only doing 1.6 60 foots and you think AWD is a god send?!??!?! So 1.6 60 foots bouncing off the rev limiterand still running high 11's........ WOW 1.6 60 foots for me would almost be high 10's. Again you act likes it's an accomplishment doing a mid 12 on snow tires... Like I said if they were run flats on a cold day it would have been more impressive.

Do you finally believe me that those STi's were running 14.2s up to high 14s now? You didn't touch on the subject and just wanted to make sure you weren't ignoring facts.

STi's, EVOS, and even stock C5 and C6 corvettes are VERY AVERAGE cars here in Denver. C5 Z06's run mid 13's up here but are rated for what from the factoryhigh 12's. That means your best run in Michigan (which was 11.8 right)?Would have been a mid to high 12 which is still really impressive because of the altitude. Again i'm not trying ot start crap, just trying to figure out the facts.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:17 PM

You are missing the point here...

My STI didn't "get me by" in winter: it won trophies at rallycross events, placed top 5 consistently in every single ice race I attended, and then, when the ice melted, it placed first in its class at various local and regional autocross events, and could run an 11 second 1/4 mile to boot, even though it was not a drag car, did not run drag tires, and I am not a drag racer.
Most importantly, it was a car that was always fast, year round; not something you do a massive burnout with to heat up the tires and then tear down a specially treated drag strip surface to accomplish an "OK" 1/4 mile time. Get it?
It wasn't the fastest thing in the world, but it was fast enough and it was fast all the time. Go race your mustang on a polished ice surface against STIs and EVOs, get a trophy, and I will call it a rally car

Get the facts now? I'm not here to argue with you which car is better, I am sharing with the forum what I had, I plan on getting a corvette and I'm sharing what I will miss about my STI. Sorry dude but your mustang wouldn't hold a candle to even a base model impreza in the winter if they both had the same tires. Much like the best rally car in the world won't move a foot using drag slicks on a snow covered road... Everything is a compromise, and for where I lived, I thought I had a pretty good all around car. Now that I'm moving out of the snow belt, I think the Z06 might be a better compromise. We'll see... You should be aware that there are other fast cars out there that don't bear the Chevrolet badge though On a typical road that is not perfectly smooth and not necessarily clean, an all wheel drive car will hook up and go in ways that no rear wheel drive car could ever dream of, and that's something I enjoyed having as a daily driver. I hope the corvette does launch as well as you say it does on everyday situations, again, I guess I'll find that out.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:49 PM

You are missing the point here...

My STI didn't "get me by" in winter: it won trophies at rallycross events, placed top 5 consistently in every single ice race I attended, and then, when the ice melted, it placed first in its class at various local and regional autocross events, and could run an 11 second 1/4 mile to boot, even though it was not a drag car, did not run drag tires, and I am not a drag racer.
Most importantly, it was a car that was always fast, year round; not something you do a massive burnout with to heat up the tires and then tear down a specially treated drag strip surface to accomplish an "OK" 1/4 mile time. Get it?
It wasn't the fastest thing in the world, but it was fast enough and it was fast all the time. Go race your mustang on a polished ice surface against STIs and EVOs, get a trophy, and I will call it a rally car

Get the facts now? I'm not here to argue with you which car is better, I am sharing with the forum what I had, I plan on getting a corvette and I'm sharing what I will miss about my STI. Sorry dude but your mustang wouldn't hold a candle to even a base model impreza in the winter if they both had the same tires. Much like the best rally car in the world won't move a foot using drag slicks on a snow covered road... Everything is a compromise, and for where I lived, I thought I had a pretty good all around car. Now that I'm moving out of the snow belt, I think the Z06 might be a better compromise. We'll see... You should be aware that there are other fast cars out there that don't bear the Chevrolet badge though On a typical road that is not perfectly smooth and not necessarily clean, an all wheel drive car will hook up and go in ways that no rear wheel drive car could ever dream of, and that's something I enjoyed having as a daily driver. I hope the corvette does launch as well as you say it does on everyday situations, again, I guess I'll find that out.
In it's class is the key phrase, you were in a lower class in the auto x than thecobras and vettes were. Also I don't have a mustang, I actually was going to trade it in for a EVO IXbut the evo was weak and the gearing was horrible so I got a vette with a supercharger on it. I'm not just a chevy guy at all like you make it out to be. I LOVE Nissans; the best car I have ever owned wasmy 1993 240sx which would have been in the same class as your STi in auto x and is a RWD car.

Here is a link of a N/A vette on the bottlevs an AWD upgraded evo IX. Doesn't look like the AWDevo gets even 1/4 of a car lead out of the hole and he is bouncing off the rev limiter. The vette wins by 3 cars in the end BTW.
You need to fast foward to the end of the video, the beginning is just prep.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...3100ff4afa.htm

Old 09-07-2007, 12:14 AM

Lol... Sorry, but when you swap an entirely differentmotor, slap on a bigger turbo, do full coilovers, larger brakes, bigger turbo, remapped ECU for higher boost, you don't run in the"stock" class any more, so my PAX multiplier for "Street Modified"was as bad or worse than what the very fastest cars in the race would see. Maybe if you did a bit more than just drag race you wouldn't make pointless comparisons any more?

So your video of ONE corvette beating ONE evo proves something somehow?
Wait, I thought high horsepower rear wheel drive cars were good from a roll... Why do all of theseloseeven though they have600+HP?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os7eKSAq-Y8

Ummm... Lets see... Different cars different story? You know what assuming does
Case in point: anecdotal evidence means nothing and makes you look desperate in an argument. I would never buy an EVO, but I am not dumb enough to think that just because my car has an engine designed in the 50's with pushrods and a large displacement it somehow makes my car the king of the road; anyone can make something faster with enough money; the fastest Honda civics run 10s, the fastest Eagle Talon runs 7s, the fastest STI runs 9s, the fastest EVO runs 8s, etc etc... Different cars different outcomes, useless comparisons.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:45 PM

Lol... Sorry, but when you swap an entirely differentmotor, slap on a bigger turbo, do full coilovers, larger brakes, bigger turbo, remapped ECU for higher boost, you don't run in the"stock" class any more, so my PAX multiplier for "Street Modified"was as bad or worse than what the very fastest cars in the race would see. Maybe if you did a bit more than just drag race you wouldn't make pointless comparisons any more?

So your video of ONE corvette beating ONE evo proves something somehow?
Wait, I thought high horsepower rear wheel drive cars were good from a roll... Why do all of theseloseeven though they have600+HP?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os7eKSAq-Y8

Ummm... Lets see... Different cars different story? You know what assuming does
Case in point: anecdotal evidence means nothing and makes you look desperate in an argument. I would never buy an EVO, but I am not dumb enough to think that just because my car has an engine designed in the 50's with pushrods and a large displacement it somehow makes my car the king of the road; anyone can make something faster with enough money; the fastest Honda civics run 10s, the fastest Eagle Talon runs 7s, the fastest STI runs 9s, the fastest EVO runs 8s, etc etc... Different cars different outcomes, useless comparisons.
So yougot my 240sx was stock from what again????? I said you werent in the same class as vettes and cobras and would be in the same class as my 240sx.You think I only know 1/4 mile races? LMAO,back when I had it I would have put lots ofmoney onthe 240against my 560 hp 540 tq vette. Just google nissan 240sx and see what they are all about with the engine swaps and turbo swaps people do. Would make your 11.8 STi look like a stock civic in auto x or 1/4 mile and for a fraction of the price of your $35k dollar car at that.

BTW that evo wasa 600 AWHP car vs a RWD vette on a 150 shot.... He didn't even come close to ripping him out of the hole. I just want to point out your perception of AWD is not as good as you think it is. Also you keep acting like I think my car is king of the road... I'm not a Chevy fan boyat all. I drove a 240sx which is an import, I was looking at EVO IXs and MKIV Toyota Supras before I made the choice of the vette. It came down to which car got more looks and price of what your getting vs miles on the car. The EVO getsfew looks and made fun of because of the big wing(I still like it though). The 93.5 - 98 Supra gets a huge amout of looks and even people stopping to take pictures of it with their camera phones and my vette with all my mods, lowered, bigger breaks etc.. gets many looks aswell; not like a supra but still. It came down to I could get a supra with 40k miles on it for $45k dollars or my vette with 28k miles on it for $26k.

Sorry about the rambling, I'm at work and keep getting interrupted.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:49 PM

Thought you would like this powerlabs. The chase car is a c5 vette, looks like hes keeping up pretty well with that AWD STi through the canyons... That is untill the STi looses control and hits the canyonwall. It is really amazing a poor RWD car could keep up with a AWD car through the sharp curves of that canyon road huh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6cmYpJhwm4

Old 09-07-2007, 11:39 PM

Thought you would like this powerlabs. The chase car is a c5 vette, looks like hes keeping up pretty well with that AWD STi through the canyons... That is untill the STi looses control and hits the canyonwall. It is really amazing a poor RWD car could keep up with a AWD car through the sharp curves of that canyon road huh.

What is even more amazing is that I am starting to think that you really believe that proves something... [sm=bangbang.gif]

OK, so if a complete moron was driving the corvette and he spun out, would that somehow also instantly prove the superiority of the other car?

Wait, wait, I get it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPy6V...ed&search=
STI owns a corvette in the street. What, I thought STIs always lost?

Wait, how about... A Corvette Z06, against an STI, and this time from a roll so traction isn't an issue?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtIuHtRefj0

Yup, lost again. Now does this prove anything? Does you going on Youtube and finding a video of some other random corvette with some other random driving beating some random car prove anything? Does me finding a honda civic online that can walk a supercharged Z06 from a roll say anything about honda civics? Do all the Corvetteguys at the local autocrosses in Michigan ending up with slower times than all the miatas mean Corvettes don't handle? Is one example enough to prove your point? Only if you're an idiot.

I think you are missing the point here: I said I liked all wheel drive because my AWD car was fast all the time; good luck taking your corvette to an ice race or a rallycross. Or getting around 4 inches of snow for that matter. I said it was great because it had traction every day, every time, regardless of conditions.
I also said I was looking forward to getting my Z06. I wouldn't waste 30grand on a car if I thought it was junk. Again, it compromises some things (an interior about as horrible as my girlfriend's1997 Pontiac Sunfire, for starters)and provides others (pretty good horsepower for the money) much like any other car.
Idohope most people who own these cars don't feel like they desperately have something to prove like you do (I saw your cardomain page. A "Cars I've raced and beaten" session? Are you serious??? How old are you?) though! Its just a car, its not god's own chariot your are driving, it is not unbeatable, it isn't even that special; its got possibly the most primitive engine outside of a truck (pushrods in 2007... Seriously) and giant leaf spring on the back... Itsjust good bang for your buck if you want a fast car and have to pass emissions or can't afford something exotic, which is exactly why I'm getting one. I'll be sure to share what I think of it once I take delivery of the car, but as far as I am concerned, my pissing match with you is over. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:07 PM

What is even more amazing is that I am starting to think that you really believe that proves something... [sm=bangbang.gif]

OK, so if a complete moron was driving the corvette and he spun out, would that somehow also instantly prove the superiority of the other car?

Wait, wait, I get it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPy6V...ed&search=
STI owns a corvette in the street. What, I thought STIs always lost?

Wait, how about... A Corvette Z06, against an STI, and this time from a roll so traction isn't an issue?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtIuHtRefj0

Yup, lost again. Now does this prove anything? Does you going on Youtube and finding a video of some other random corvette with some other random driving beating some random car prove anything? Does me finding a honda civic online that can walk a supercharged Z06 from a roll say anything about honda civics? Do all the Corvetteguys at the local autocrosses in Michigan ending up with slower times than all the miatas mean Corvettes don't handle? Is one example enough to prove your point? Only if you're an idiot.

I think you are missing the point here: I said I liked all wheel drive because my AWD car was fast all the time; good luck taking your corvette to an ice race or a rallycross. Or getting around 4 inches of snow for that matter. I said it was great because it had traction every day, every time, regardless of conditions.
I also said I was looking forward to getting my Z06. I wouldn't waste 30grand on a car if I thought it was junk. Again, it compromises some things (an interior about as horrible as my girlfriend's1997 Pontiac Sunfire, for starters)and provides others (pretty good horsepower for the money) much like any other car.
Idohope most people who own these cars don't feel like they desperately have something to prove like you do (I saw your cardomain page. A "Cars I've raced and beaten" session? Are you serious??? How old are you?) though! Its just a car, its not god's own chariot your are driving, it is not unbeatable, it isn't even that special; its got possibly the most primitive engine outside of a truck (pushrods in 2007... Seriously) and giant leaf spring on the back... Itsjust good bang for your buck if you want a fast car and have to pass emissions or can't afford something exotic, which is exactly why I'm getting one. I'll be sure to share what I think of it once I take delivery of the car, but as far as I am concerned, my pissing match with you is over. Thanks.
It wasnt a race smart guy, it was a chase car, the vette kept up great and AWD is OVERRATED! The vids you posted were extensively modified cars vs almost stock corvettes....... Does that make you feel better? I posted a 600 AWHP evo getting owend by a 530 RWHP vette. AWD = OVERRATED! It does have it's nice points but your best 60 foot time was 1.6 right? That is bouncing off the rev limiter, no tire spin and everything else you had done to that car..... So a stock C6 Z06 with DRs will do a 1.7.... MAN AWD IS .1 of a second better.

BTW they use pushrods SMART GUY because they weigh less than DOHC... You do know what that means right??? If your soooooo woried about leaf springs then change them out. You can pick up a nice setof coilovers, you just got to have the $$$$$. Any of the LS engines might be the best engines ever built right behind the Toyota Supra MKIV. You were talking about doing engine swaps with your STi.... Why would you need to do an engine swap with your "MODERN" engine??????? Because they can't handle more than mid 400 hp without blowing up?????

All you STi drivers are the same, you thinkAWD is gods gift to mankind. I can't wait to goto the track again this Wednesday and watch your $35k STisdomid14 second 1/4 mile times.[sm=massbounce.gif]When your getting passed by a $10k Typhoon thats an SUV you know something is wrong.

If it makes you feel better I'm 22. Also I know wayyyyy more than you do about the "primitive" LS1 as well as my sorry leaf springs. Would you atleast flatter me and tell me why pushrods are primitive???? Did you just watch Top Gear and decide to quote Jeremy Clarkson?

Old 09-09-2007, 05:38 PM

If it makes you feel better I'm 22. Also I know wayyyyy more than you do about the "primitive" LS1 as well as my sorry leaf springs. Would you atleast flatter me and tell me why pushrods are primitive???? Did you just watch Top Gear and decide to quote Jeremy Clarkson?
Sorry buddy but I have a mechanical engineering degree and probably spent more time working on a car than you've spent owning one.

This is not the forum for me to try and educate you on engine design. Try reading up a little bit on "valvetrain inertia", or try figuring out why 4 valves per cylinder can flow more air in and out of the engine than just 2. If you know ANYTHING about engines youwould know that power produced is a direct function of how much air flows in and out of it which is a direct function of displacement and RPM.
Or maybe just ask yourself why every single car manufacturer except chevy moved away from one single camshaft 40+ years ago... Does Chevrolet know something no one else does?
Or maybe do other manufacturers just not consider 6000RPM redlines and 65horsepower per litre to be an acceptable performance benchmark for their cars? They make OK power because they have huge engines, nothing else...